fuel lines, food for thought

ziggy

Admiral
hi folks, i don't have a question this time. but do have some food for yer thought. if ya got a old boat like i do, used. ya never know who's done what to it till ya look. in this case it was fuel lines. whew, an accident waiting to blow i'd think. i got twin fuel tanks. someone had cut off the original copper fuel lines and splice some b1 hose to them. no nipple just the old copper. from the port side this ran accross the back and 1/3 way up the starboard side of my 16'. the starboard side had been run the 1/3 way up the starboard side, there it tee'd into a plastic live well water diverter, then backwards down the side again, half way accross the back an up to the fuel pump where a plaine pipe (no nipple) was used to complete it to the fuel pump. i think this was poorly thought out and was waiting to leak and blow. not to mention i belive if the coastgaurd had been onto me they'd have sent me home asap for none compliance with the rules. <br />this project was found the hard way. i rammed some gear down the starboard side stoage last fall and broke off one of the plastic diverter nipples, the feed to the fuel pump. i had no fuel from either tank that day and had already launched. needless to say i also loaded back up as i was hosed. but better broken hose nipple than blowed up as i well could have been that day. check to see how yer fuel lines are run.....

LubeDude

Admiral
Re: fuel lines, food for thought

Thats great advice. The best thing that happened when I bought my used boat was that it didnt run right. It made me check everything I could imagine. Found several things jury rigged. Now I know what Ive got. Makes good sence to look you engine and compartment over real good.

gutshot grouper

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You answered the question yourself, gasoline is nasty stuff if you have ever seen a boat fire started with gas, if you are lucky enough to get over the side with no burns, you're home free.

nightstalker

Chief Petty Officer

When i bought my last used boat, the dealer said that the VRO worked fine. Puttering around, I squeezed the VRO bulb and oil shot out of a hose near the cowling. The VRO had been disconnected and the half tank of gas was premixed. The VRO tank was still in place and 3/4 full. If I hadn't noticed that it was disconnected, I may have filled her up without premixing and by the time I realized that it wasn't working, blown up the engine.<br />Stalker