Johnson 150 head gasket

greg2767

Recruit
I recently purchased an 89 Baja with a 150 6cylinder Johnson at an auction sale. The engine has 1 head removed, I don't know what the problem is. THe engine cranks over. Looking at the head, it appears that one cylinder may have been leaking compression through the head gasket. Should I try and replacing the gasket and see what happens. Or should I take it to a mechanic.<br />Greg

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral
Re: Johnson 150 head gasket

Welcome to iboats. :) <br /><br />Look for cylinder scoring. If none, it might just need a head gasket. But depending on circumstances I'd have to believe somebody didn't want the expense of an overhaul and just auctioned it off instead.

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral

If the head is off the engine, and just lying loose, somebody found something they did'nt like. Crank the pistons around, and look at the cylinder walls.

greg2767

Recruit

I took it to a mechanic and he indicated there is cylinder scoring. He wanted around 4k to rebuild by boring and all new pistons etc. The cylinders are somewhat rusty from having them exposed to the elements but should clean up easily. If the scoring isn't too bad, do I have any options.<br />Greg

Steve135

Petty Officer 1st Class

4K seems a little high you should be able to find a rebuild block for 2500 or even less if you take your time. There is also a core reabte as well. Check I boats they even have rebulit blocks for less than that 4 k You need to find out why there is only one cylinder scored.<br />steve