Need More Power!

rWaag

Recruit
Recent purchase- 1992 Evinrude 48hp. Seems to run fine except under full throttle. Smooth but not even enough power to plane a Whaler. Reverse gets good revs (due mostly to cavitation). After running, get milky yuk dripping from small rear exhaust port?! <br /><br />I'm thinking(hoping) bad leaf valve, or worse- rings. Have yet to check compression.<br />I'm new to outboards.<br /><br />Thanks,<br />Rich

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
Re: Need More Power!

first order is to test the compresion and spark, anytime you suspect a problem that is where to start, just because it was ok last time does not mean it will be next time.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

Many times low power is the result of one cylinder not firing.Check for spark.

rWaag

Recruit

Thanks for the responses. Compression appears OK however (I'm ashamed to admit) it is clear the bottom spark plug is getting no spark. I swapped wires and plugs and confirmed no spark at the coil. <br />I suppose I'll check the coil resistance next. Judging from the Clymer manual I have, these ignition systems get complex fast- I hope it's the coil!<br />Thanks for guiding me - being a car gearhead, I never would have suspected a miss- guess it's tough to hear on a twin!<br />Thanks,<br />Rich

MCM

Lieutenant Junior Grade

no valves & lifters ;)