Need some identification help........

heyttown

Chief Petty Officer
Friend of mines dad owned a boat for fishing.His dad passed away a few years ago(boat tag expired in 2002)and the son doesnt have much info on the boat or motor but wants to sell it to get it out of the yard.<br />I looked at the boat&motor today.It is a johnson, on the cover(front) it says seahorse. Underneath the cover it has 3 carbs,3 spark plugs.....On the side of the upper carb was a tin plate with the markings <br /><br />393546<br /> 70 <br /> 06EI <br /><br />All of that on 1 small tin tag(not sure if it means anything,just wanted to find any kind of number to help identify this motor.)<br /><br />On the top of the block near the rear of the motor on what appears to be a freeze plug tpye fitting...with the #'s<br /><br />J70ELCTE<br />J5821597<br /><br />Any help or ideas?<br /><br />Any value estimates?<br /><br />Buddy says its been sitting for 2+years, so I imagine carb rebuilds and fluid changes atleast....<br /><br /><br />One more question, this motor uses cables to steer,but Im looking to put this motor on my boat and the steering on this boat using a (hydrolic ...I think?) Stiff arm that attaches right to the motor bracket...Can this motor be used with my current steering system?

MCM

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Need some identification help........

heyttown, Its a 1983 Johnson, 70hp, elec. start, long(20")shaft<br /><br />If you buy it consider doing this web page, <br /><br />Value??, depends on if it even runs <br /><br />Good Luck :)

heyttown

Chief Petty Officer

MCM

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Need some identification help........

That last letter's relevence is known only to OMC, doesn't mean a thing to us.<br /><br />Probably a typo or there misinformed ;) <br /><br />Also I'm not sure about your steering ?, but I think there's probably a kit available to convert it.