60's 33hp Evinrude with Oily Spark Plugs

Aroline

Cadet
60's 33hp Evinrude with Oily Spark Plugs. Oil was almost dripping from the bottom plug. I was going to buy the motor untill I took the plugs out. What should I do. Is this a sign that it needs a rebuild.

CFronzek

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 60's 33hp Evinrude with Oily Spark Plugs

Does it run?<br />The motor is a two stroke. Oil is in the gas so only so much can get into the cylinders. <br />Oily plugs could mean the motor has too rich a mixture if it runs or it could mean the ignition is cooked and the plugs aren't firing if it doesn't. <br />Except for taking cylinder pressures a motor that doesn't run won't tell you much. The only alternative is to go thru the trouble shooting procedure one component at a time.

Aroline

Cadet

The owner claims it ran last season. I can't verify that because the motor does not come with a tank. It is a different gas fitting compared to my older Evinrude, so I'm kinda in a gamblers position. Could I get fuel into the motor an alternate way?

Paul Moir

Admiral

Shouldn't be a different gas fitting if it's a 33hp. Ought to be the same as any modern OMC outboard. Unless you're older Evinrude has a 2-line pressure tank.<br />You can use any single line outboard tank; just get a cheap OMC fuel connector and a couple hose clamps from Canadian Tire. Remove whatever fitting you've got and fit the OMC one.<br /><br />If you can't get a running test, check the compression (both plugs out, 90psi ok, 100 good, 110 very good by my gauge). Run the compression check twice because it may be thrown off by any fogging oil he may have used to store the engine. There should be no more than a 10% variance between cylinders. If pulling, give it four or five good strong pulls for each check.<br /><br />Look for signs of overheat, like burnt paint or scorch marks particularly on the head (where the spark plugs screw in).<br /><br />Check spark (plugs out to make it easier). Should be able to draw about a 1/4" long arc on that engine. This is a frequent trouble spot, but it's fairly easily & inexpensively fixed if you're handy with wrenches and such. Often the trouble turns up as a spark that won't jump more than about 1/8".<br /><br />Check a bit of the lower unit oil. Black bad smelling stuff with metallic dust in it is actually ok (just neglected). Milky like coffee with cream means water is leaking into it (but a little hazy is rather normal). Clear stuff was recently changed. Peices of metal you can feel is very bad.<br /><br />As with any outboard, ask when the water pump impeller was last changed. If it's been a a couple years, plan on changing it yourself. If he doesn't know, the engine's been neglected.<br /><br />Check the condition of the rubber isolators you can see.

Aroline

Cadet

A shout out to Nova Scotia from Manitoba, thanks for taking the time to help me out. What are the "rubber isolators"? And, how do I check the arc? Did Evinrude only use one style of fittings on their pressured tanks?<br />Thanks a Heap

Paul Moir

Admiral

Yes, Evinrude/Johnson (same thing for half of last century) only used one style of pressurized tank connectors. Then they went to the connector they use today. The 33hp didn't come out till '65 which was way past the pressurized ,two "fuel" line, tanks so it's got the modern connector.<br /><br />The 33hp engine is isolated for noise and vibration from the transom clamp and hood by a number of chunks of rubber. Sometimes these get sheared. There should be four holding the part that the hood clips to, and a number holding the transom clamp/tilt/steering assembly in place. Only a couple of those are visible, but they seem to be the most likely to be broken.<br /><br />You can check spark simply by removing the spark plugs and holding them (with insulated pliers) 1/4" from the block while cranking the engine. Of course, the spark plug wire connectors need to be on. If this is difficult, you can purchase a cheap spark plug gap tester from an automotive tool store like Princess Auto. I think Canadian Tire would want an arm & leg for one.<br /><br />Hope that helps. I'm a little nuts about those outboards so I'm biting my tongue and not saying how great they are. If you've got doubts, click my "Man-next-to-house" icon. Next on the table is a '65 33hp which isn't much different.

Aroline

Cadet

Paul, I took some pictures of the motor and upon comparison with the picture that you have, it looks different. Can I send you a few pics for your review? e-mail adress?

wonderphil

Cadet

Paul, where do you put your feet when you pull start that monster? I have 2 33hp one pull start and one electric start (parts motor) that I'm going to switch to make that pull start into electric because two men just won't fit side by side to pull that peckerwood.

Paul Moir

Admiral

Yeah, it can sure be a bear to pull over. The earlier versions had a compression relief system which helped a lot. You can see the vestiges of it if you look at the head.<br />If you have the ignition system tuned up really well, then it's not necessary to pull the engine over really fast which makes it easier to start. Just a good solid heave or two.<br />But the electric starter does it most the time. ;)

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral

The oil on that plug should indicate that the motor was properly pickled before a long sit. It might just be oil the guy shot in there to keep things from rusting up. I'd rather see oil than nothing. :)

JC1933

Chief Petty Officer

Originally posted by Paul Moir:<br /> Yeah, it can sure be a bear to pull over. The earlier versions had a compression relief system which helped a lot. You can see the vestiges of it if you look at the head.<br />If you have the ignition system tuned up really well, then it's not necessary to pull the engine over really fast which makes it easier to start. Just a good solid heave or two.<br />But the electric starter does it most the time. ;)

Aroline

Cadet

Thanks all!
That was a good thread!

Clay