tilt problem with '96 150hp ocean runner

junior920

Recruit
Hello,<br /><br />I was hoping someone could help with a problem I'm having with a newly acquired '96 150hp Johnson Ocean Runner. The motor will not tilt using either the main controls or the trailering switches.<br />I can hear the tilt motor running when I activate the switches, but no movement. <br />Also, the manual release screw will not budge, so I'm not able to get a look at the tilt assembly.<br />Is there another way to get the motor up into the trailering position?<br /><br />Thanks in advance for any advice.

limacina

Seaman
Re: tilt problem with '96 150hp ocean runner

Theres a couple plastic limit switches that I notice were easy to damage on my ocean runners. If damaged, they might stop the motor from lifting.<br />Can you check the oil level? Do you have the repair manual, theres good troubleshooting with detailed pics.

papasmurf

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If the motor is running, than it is not the tilt limit switch. You might try lifting up on the gearcase while someone operates the switch. Might just be low on fluid or maybe a stuck check valve(internal).

junior920

Recruit

thanks guys, I'll try the suggestion to try lifting the gearcase manually while trying the swithes. There is about 6 inches that the motor can be lifted before it locks up, but i didn't try to activate the swithes while I was lifting because I didn't have any help at the time. I'll give it a go. <br />No suggestions on freeing up the manual release screw I guess? I did try to soak it with SeaFoam for a day, but it is frozen solid.

papasmurf

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You might try an impact driver, but be careful.

Walker

Captain

Sounds to me like your tilt fluid may be low. If you can raise the motor 6" you should be able to get to the fluid port and add fluid with a syringe or some other way.

junior920

Recruit

thanks for the replies folks, I'll be down to play with my new toy next weekend and will try the suggestions then.<br />I'll certainly report back with what I find.<br /><br />this is a great forum to get some help on issues that it is difficult to find expertise on locally. thanks again