2000 70 Hp stalls hard to start up again

ermess

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Engine stalls and is hard to start back up. Primer bulb is soft after it stalls. Pumping bulb usually gets it started again, but last time I did not think it was going to start.<br />Fuel Pump, VRO, Primer Bulb?

MCM

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: 2000 70 Hp stalls hard to start up again

What's the manual suggest, whole new fuel line including bulb, is less than $20-25.00, start there.<br /><br />Besides if that's not it it doesn't hurt to have a spare in the boat. Trust me :D

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

The primer bulb goes soft shortly after the engine starts because the fuel pump draws fuel through it. That's normal. The fuel pump may be weak so a check it for flow. VRO is not likely the problem although it and the fuel pump are one assembly. Have you tried pushing in on the key (prime) when cranking to see if that helps? Do you raise the fast idle lever a little on restarts?

ermess

Petty Officer 3rd Class

problem seems to occur when up and running (4800 rpm) then she starts sputtering and loosing power and dies. Pump up the primer bulb and eventually she starts running again. Right now she only does it about one time per half day of fishing.

ermess

Petty Officer 3rd Class

What should vacum and pressure read on fuel system for this engine j70plssd<br />thanks<br />ed

MCM

Lieutenant Junior Grade

:rolleyes:

Walker

Captain

Combining this thread with your other thread I don't think you have an electrical problem. "Sputtering, losing power and dies" sounds like a fuel delivery problem. "Pump the primer bulb and she eventually starts" I'd look first at your tank to engine hose/bulb, then fuel pump.<br />An overheated motor can act the same way.

whofan

Petty Officer 1st Class

Id try some dry gas could be water in fuel. I had the VRO go out on my 50 horse once. The fuel side only. had to pump it up run stall and keep repeating this procedure. To make it back to the dock.