1955 Fastwin 15hp shift lever

Bruce N

Seaman Apprentice
Have 15hp Rude Fastwin with shift lever problem. The adjusting lever behind the shift lever is broken. How can I find a replacement part? Is it possible to just reinstall the shift lever and clamp it extra tight? If I get replacement part do I have to pull power head off lower motor cover assembly to replace part? I have a similar parts engine but shift lever mechanism is different. References for those patient enough to help me: Clymer Old Outboard Service Manual Volume 1 page 205 figure OMC7-16, the broken part is part number 2. The parts engine seems to be the one illustrated on page 206, figure OMC7-17. Are the shift lever mechanisms interchangeable? Is this a winter project?<br /><br />Appreciate any help you guys can give.<br /><br />Thanks in advance

D

DJ

Re: 1955 Fastwin 15hp shift lever

Yes, you have to pull the powerhead. It's not that bad.<br /><br />I'll bet your local John/rude dealer can still get the part. Mke sure you replace the base gasket.<br /><br />Or, try:<br /><br />www.twincityoutboard.com

Bruce N

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 1955 Fastwin 15hp shift lever

DJ<br /><br />Many thanks. <br /><br />Other than replacing base gasket are there anu other pointers?