thermostat

realtree280

Petty Officer 3rd Class
i have a 1980 johnson 15 horse and was told after an overheating problem that i do not need the thermostat, and would never overheat again if i dont use one , please help with this i would like to hear lots of thoughts on this also this is the motor i am going to rebuild starting this weekend

Brew2

Chief Petty Officer
Re: thermostat

I'm definitely no expert, but I would think that by removing the thermostat, you may not overheat, but you are also going to be running your engine too cold a lot of the time. Performance of the engine, especially at idle, would suffer I would think.<br /><br />Why not just put the proper thermostat in and then replace it every few years as a maintenance item?<br /><br />Good luck.<br /><br />Brew

Tom Scully

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You do need the thermostat, the engine needs to get up to the proper operating temp inorder to run efficiently. You will also have excess carbon build up when operating at a low temp.

realtree280

Petty Officer 3rd Class

well that makes more sense i have been running this way all summer and it was very cold natured, water comming out the pee hole was always cold,could i have hurt anything running like this ?

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

As the other guys posted realtree....you risk carbon build up and maybe sticking rings. You also run the risk of a cold sieze which can effect the engine the same way overheat does.<br /><br />Put the correct t-stat in it and do a decarb afterwards. 9.9/15's are tough little engines that will take a beating and keep going. But why beat them if you don't have to.... :)

realtree280

Petty Officer 3rd Class

thanks obj any other advice you may have for my rebuild of this motor will be great plan to put new pistons and rings and all bearings so far

papasmurf

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Running a motor without a thermostat can also lead to a motor running hotter than it should. If water flows through a block too fast, then the water will not remove enough heat from the block.