Electrical problem

elwilliams13

Petty Officer 2nd Class
1991 evinrude 225. Went out on the water when I was running WOT. Noticed my instruments on the dash had all zeroed out(no power.) Then engine began to lose rpm. Upon investigation found that my battery lug had popped off. Reattached it and could not rev up past 2000-2500 rpm. Got home and put it on the muffs ran good. After 5min had no spark on 1,3,5 cylinder. Checked the shift interupter and it was working properly. My question is could something have burned up from losing my battery connection or is the shift switch shorting out when it heats up? I'm stumped.

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral
Re: Electrical problem

Running with a disconnected battery, you will have to check voltage regulator, and stator. The drive coils for the ignition are in the stator.

elwilliams13

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Is that pretty much were this problem would come from?

MCM

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Hello,<br /><br />RJohnson is pretty much right on track, from what I understand running w/out a battery or worse crossing bat. terminals can damage a rectifier which in turn will damage the stator and in some cases the power pack<br /><br />As RJ stated the stator is the charging circuit for the ignition, if the stator isn't providing the required amt. of current to the power pack, no ignition<br /><br />You can visually inspect the stator by removing the flywheel, look for cracks or a brownish residue coming from it <br /><br />There are several tests that can be done to trouble shoot the ign. system with some test equip.<br /><br />This link can provide some info on testing and the ign. in general.<br /><br /> http://outboardparts.com/omc/troubleshooting/trublshtinghlp.htm <br /><br />Good Luck,<br />Mike :)

wilde1j

Vice Admiral

How many powerpacks does your engine have? If you have two, I would expect one is fried.<br /><br />You probably smoked the regulator/rectifier when the lead came off, but that has nothing to do with your running problem, only battery charging.

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral

Depending on how hot it got, you could have damaged the ignition drive coil in the stator. That will most certainly affect the ignition. You could do just a simple ohm's check on the stator. Since this all started with a one shot deal, I would start there. Since that stator is a potted assembly with both charging, and drive coils, it will have to be replaced if damaged. Depending on what test equipment you have. The problem should not be to hard to find. If you have wing nuts on that battery, replace with stainless, or brass nuts. The nut just has to get loose to cause your problem, not come all the way off.

elwilliams13

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You guys are awesome, Thanks for all the info. I beleive I have two powerpacks that are together in the one assembly. I will check all this stuff tomorrow using my manual. Someone also told me that possibly the powerpack that controls cylinder 1,3,5 burned out and when the engine heats up expanding the pack it shorts to ground. Any logic behind this assumption?

elwilliams13

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well guys cranked her up again today she idled perfect until she got to about a temp of 130-145 and she dropped cylinders 1,3,5. Checked the stator for any damage and none found. What next? The manual calls for a bunch of test equipment I don't have.

Seasport

Chief Petty Officer

You could have a fault in that powerpack that is related to temperature. Could have been damaged by the spikes as the battery was disconnected & connected. Try heating the powerpack up with a hairdryer or hot air gun (carefully) to see if you can cause the problem to occur.

elwilliams13

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yeah I'm leaning towards that because it only happens after idleing for a few minutes. Any other quick tests I can do to further diagnose?