out board rebuilders

oscar boy

Seaman Apprentice
Can anyone tell me If they have had a motor rebuilt by Tinkiller Marine. On their web sight the offer a life time warranty of their work.<br /><br />Would like to hear what your experience with them was.<br /><br />Also can anyone tell me if Wiseco Piston are better than oem.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: out board rebuilders

Oscar.... Hmmm, a lifetime warranty sounds too good to be true, and you know what they say about things that sound too good to be true! A major corporation would only extend a warranty, usually, for ninety days at the most, and there would be limits on that I'm sure.<br /><br />And then there's always the question... whos lifetime? It's best that the warranty is spelled out in writing pertaining to coverage of the exact days, months, whatever, and a listing, also written out, of exactly what is covered.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Moving to General Outboard

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

I guess that means if you bring it back with 10 hours on it and a stuck piston they'll say "Yep, it died. That was its lifetime."<br /><br />As usual, I agree with Joe.

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

Read the fine print on the wty. While a lifetime warranty may sound good it is only as good as the company that puts it out. Many of those warranties are not worth the paper - - -. The motor blows up and somehow it is always the faul of the owner with no liability on the part of the rebuilder.<br /><br />Oddly enough you can see by reading a lot of the posts here there anre many motors that will last near a lifetime if give proper care. I wonder about the new ones though especially the V6s with all the sensors and computers. Wonder how many of them will still be running 10-20 years from now.