'97 150 Evinrude

bobk18

Recruit
Hi all, first time poster here. My 1997 150hp Evinrude started running hot at idle last weekend, up just over 200 deg but the alarm doesn't sound. As soon as I get up on plane the temp goes down to normal levels. The telltale stream is strong and the water pressure is good according to the gauge. I just replaced the thermostats but this didn't change anything. I had the water pump replaced the middle of last season so that should be pretty fresh. Could the impeller be shot already? I did run aground at idle speed coming home one night in the dark after I strayed from the channel so I guess I could have sucked up some sand/ seaweed then. I have flushed through the flush fitting but no luck. Is there a screen behind the plastic grates that cover the water pickup that I can clean up? Any thoughts would be much appreciated. I'm supposed to be taking my boss & his wife out this weekend and would hate to cancel.<br />Thanks Guys!

Barnacle_Bill

Admiral
Re: '97 150 Evinrude

One of my older rude's had screens in the water pickup. Certainly worth checking to be sure there is nothing in there.

Cricket Too

Lieutenant Commander
Re: '97 150 Evinrude

Have you been running it with the hose hooked to the backflusher or just flushing it with the engine off? If you have been running it with the hose hooked to the backflusher instead of muffs, then you could have easily damaged your impeller in that time, you can only run on muffs, the backflusher is only meant for running hose pressure back through the block.