93' 115 johnson, Piston ring missing

MOETOROLA

Seaman Apprentice
Hi everyone, My worst fear was been realized. On an earlier post you all said it could be a bad piston. I didnt want to believe ya. My original post was the engine would only turn 4200 rpm @ wot with a 13x19 prop. I did another compression check with a more accurate gauge and found cylinders 4,3,2 all were 130 but cyl 1 was 115.<br />Pulled the head to take a look and found the top piston ring is totally gone not even a remnance of it. It had beat the Sxxx out of the head and piston head. What really is a bumer, i just got the boat in june, an have only hade it out 2 times, this is my first boat.<br /><br />I just want to go fishing, in my bass boat.<br /><br />Thanks for all your guys help. <br />Sincerly Brian O'Dell

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner
Re: 93' 115 johnson, Piston ring missing

Let me guess -- its on the starbord side, right? <br /><br />What plugs and fuel are you using?

MOETOROLA

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 93' 115 johnson, Piston ring missing

yes cylinder #1, im using 89oct. I can't remember<br />the plug part #, but it is the one recommended in the manual. It must of happened when the privious owner had it, cause it only has turned 4200rpm since ive had it, i have only had on the lake 2 times.