9.5 sportwin exhaust gasket

swimmin' for shore

Chief Petty Officer
I'm really at a loss here, and hoping that you guys could help. <br />I have a 9.5 sportwin. Year is between 64-73. I'm sorry that I can't be more specific than that, but it came to me minus the nameplate data, and we've thus far been unable to pull anything from other numbers. <br />There's a gasket on the port side of the motor. It's leaking water. In part, this is great because the waterpump I changed is working again. The last guy blew the bottom of this gasket out, though, so it has to be changed. I ordered the new gasket already. This morning, I went out and tried to take the old cover off, and it doesn't just slip out. The bottom bolts hit the motor's housing. I tried to take the housing off. I removed every bolt I could find between the two halves of the housing. On the aft end, it starts to split, but I can't get it all of the way off. What am I missing? Do I have to remove the outer housing(shroud)? If not, what do I need to change this thing. I'm losing my mind with it, and the SELOC manual is helping grease the path with inadequate explanations, pics, and information. As always, thanks in advance!

MCM

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: 9.5 sportwin exhaust gasket

Hi, check to see if your motor has aluminum freeze plug on it somewhere, if it does the model # should be stamped on it.<br /><br />Found mine by accident one day<br /><br />Mike

dolluper

Captain

Did you forget to remove the steering friction plate screws both sides<br />star board side= 1 nut 1 screw removed first<br />then port side=5 screws<br />2 screws on stabilizer bracket [port side]attached to exhaust cover and depress it get it out of the way<br />then 2 screws and nuts portside to seperate

swimmin' for shore

Chief Petty Officer

No. I removed the steering friction plate. <br />MCM, someone, at some point, may have rebuilt the engine. It has freezeplugs in it that were for Johnsons. I checked those, as well.

DHPMARINE

Captain

Those 9.5 motors are a bear unless you've done a lot.I suspect no one has.20 years ago I 'inherited' one with a new job.It was ALL apart and in a shopping cart.Really had me working.<br /><br />If you go onto EVIRUDE.COM or JOHNSON.COM you can see the same partsbook I have.Look for engine diagrams.Maybe the exploded diagrams will help you out.Print them and bring them out to the shop.<br /><br />DHP<br /><br />Oh ya,still got the same job,21st year !

wayne h

Master Chief Petty Officer

i dont know how much u acually have off but i will tell u that it all has to come apart. just about every part that is bolted to the 2 halfs has to come off in order to split the case. its a bear of a job. i have done a few since i have 4 motors and a ton of parts. just take your time and dont force anything