140hp Johnson Seahorse Lower unit Stuck !!

bossmanfran

Recruit
I'm in the process of removing the lower unit on my 1981 140 hp Johnson Seahorse, to replace the impellar. It seems that the darn thing is hopelessly stuck. I have removed the 4 bolts (2 on each side), the trim tab, the hidden bolt underneath the tab, and of course the shift rod retention screw (under the carbs). All as per my Clymer Manual. All the lower unit has done is drop down a 1/4" in the back and remains 100% Snug in the front. I can rock the lower unit from side to side and it only moves a little less than a half inch. Even though I know that it is a no-no I have tried to pry the unit off...but no success. It just bends screw drivers after it starts to move...then pop snug again! Please Help!

Aquasport19.6

Seaman
Re: 140hp Johnson Seahorse Lower unit Stuck !!

Boss, i to had a problem taking the lower unit off of my 82 115hp rude. My trouble was taking the shift rod retention screw off darn thing was a nightmare. Once i took the shift rod retention screw the lower unit still remained in place i checked things out that put a little bit of preasure on it. SOme people thought that it might me the drive gear (RUSTED TOGETHER) well turned out the the person who owned the boat before me used Silicone for the exhaust housing. Well let me knwo how it turns out.

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

Welcome bossman!!!<br /><br />Time to introduce you to the search function. Click the red search at the top of the page and enter "lower unit stuck" and read away.

bossmanfran

Recruit

Still no luck ! I have read every topic related to this subject and none of the "tricks" have worked. I tried using wedges and making a lever out of 2"x4" that bolts around the lower unit to give me more torque....Nothing! Alot of posts talk about turning the motor upside down and letting wd40 run down the drive shaft and onto the splines. However that is not gonna happen with this motor, its to bulky ...and I can't see the drive shaft anyway. I have wedged a crow bar in the back and given it hell, to the point of almost lifting my 20' WellCraft off the trailer.<br />To be completely honest I'm willing to put excess force on it, since I have a spare lower unit I bought from a estate sale a while back. In other words I'm willing to destroy pieces on the lower unit just nothing else on the motor.

jim_in_day

Petty Officer 2nd Class

There is one more bolt, I'm just on memory right now, but besides the hidden bolt under the trim tab there is another bolt up front that is not hidden, take a real close look, it should be there