18 hp fast twinw/ 20 hp ph

marcysibyll

Seaman
Got the throttle working smooth- Had the ring that the mag plate screws to in upside down. Put bevel side up, per OMC mechanic and wala- smooth throttle. <br />Adj screws worked loost, so new packing and dissambeled the carb. Clean inside- ran carb cleaner thru all passages, blew out w/ compressed air. Put everything back.<br />Started with the hi speed adj 1 turn out and low speed 1 1/2 out. <br />Will not start. Coughed a couple of tiomes, but no run. <br />Got spark and compression- Should I be trying the adj screws at a different setting to get up and running?

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral
Re: 18 hp fast twinw/ 20 hp ph

I think you mean bevel side down, flat side up.

marcysibyll

Seaman

OMC mech. told me bevel up, and I turned it over so the bevel is up and throttle works freely thru -out whole range now.<br />Makes sense in my twisted mind- The bevel brings the surface of the retaining ring above the brass ring screwed to the case- when mag plate screws are tightened, the mag plate will tighten against the retaining ring, not sandwiching the brass ring between the retaining ring and the mag plate. :confused: <br /><br /> :confused: Now all I have to do is work out my fuel problem :confused:

itstippy

Chief Petty Officer

You will have to pull the flywheel again and mount the retaining ring bevel down, as R.Johnson says.<br />I am sure your throttle works smoothly. The armature plate is wobbling all over the place. The points are opening whenever, or not opening whenever, and the motor will never right the way you have it. While you're at it, read this for insight:<br /> http://www.iboats.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=28;t=020981#000001 <br />Your OMC mechanic is just plain wrong. The OMC service manuals and parts catalogs have it right. As does Lt. Commander R.Johnson.