'95 150 intermittant mid RPM "rattle"

Fl_Richard

Lieutenant
I have twin '95 V6 150 loopers.<br /><br />The port motor has a rattle at certain RPM's. (So does my transom door) Sometimes it's hard to tell where the sound comes from. <br /><br />Yesterday while out I knew I was hearing a rattle so I took of the cover, let the little lady drive and I went back for a listen. It seemd like the top port cyl was where the rattle was most pronounced. But the motor is really loud without a cover @ 3500-4000 turns.<br /><br />I took a 23 mile trip (Each way) up to our friends house and back with no problems. The noise is typically in the mid RPM range. Runs like a bitc@ at wide open, no knocking or "bad" sounds. Just more of a rattle at about the same volume as my transom doors it's slide bolt when it rattles ... You know just enough that's it's annoying.<br /><br />Any guesses???<br /><br />Many thanks <br /><br />Richard

Fl_Richard

Lieutenant
Re: '95 150 intermittant mid RPM "rattle"

Hate to reply to my own post but.<br /><br />My concern is that a bearing or reed valve or something I'm not aware of is beginning to fail. I'm hopeful one of you fine experts can identify the problem and help me fix it before it becomes tremendously expensive<br /><br />Thanks,<br /><br />Ricahrd

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Can you hear it when the motor is at idle?

Fl_Richard

Lieutenant

No it sounds perfect. WOT is good too.