vro pumps

nelham1

Cadet
i have a 1989 evinrude 110 picked up used not really running. replaced a piston and sleeve. new gaskets. cleaned and rebuilt the carb.'s checked the float leavel, with the omc. float gauge. placed in a test cell and ran it 6 hours breakin time (no-load) checked timing to 26 deg.(two deg. retarded from omc spec.)at this point it runs great. when i place a load on the engine (in the boat on the lake) i lose a cyl. at times it's intermiting. checked compresion 110, 115, 120, 120. At the tmes of the load engine and lost cyl. I've seen excessive fuel being dumped into the carb bores. and driping under the floats. removed the card.'s rechecked the float leavel, checked the float to see that they float. checked to see if the needle shuts off the fuel into the carb by inverting carb. checks good. reinstalled, the same thing again excessive fuel in bore,( u can really see it dumping a spray of fuel.) and a driping. I know i'm losing the cyl. due to to much fuel, but my question is could the vro pump be causeing to high a fuel pressure over riding the the needle? all jets are in place and there is on place for a pull-over jet (located in the center of the carb venture). i have even tried to set the float shallow to shut off early. no help. i do not have the oil enjection in a tank nor pluged (open line). oil is mixed in gas for now. when it is hiting on all cyl. the engine has run for ten minutes. or has shut off after running. and another time the baot was heading into the wind, when it did pick up the cyl.no i didn't look to see if there was still a drip. but i didn't see execessive gas being dumped into the bores.

Walker

Captain
Re: vro pumps

Okay, first thing, plug that oil line to the VRO if its not in use. Rebuild the carbs again using kits this time. Whilt the carbs are off visually inspect the reeds. You can see all of them if you try hard enoungh. Test the recirculation valves for proper function.

mark.aa

Seaman Apprentice

check for debris in carb needle valve seats ,also remove brass needle valve seat inserts when you rebuild carbs and check for debris there also.<br />had a loss of power and at speed and carbs that would flood and over flow on my 1989 60hp and found the fuel diaphram in the vro pump had started to break up and the rubber was floating around the needle valve seats and causing blockages and bits getting into needle vavles and not letting the close,thus the carbs would flood.<br />had thought it was rubber from fuel hoses so changed all them aswell.<br />ditched the vro pump and fitted a standard johson pump and run on premix now too.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

if you have the minlon(plastic) fuel bowls remove them and chek for warpage. and idling 6 hours did not "break-in" the motor. sorry ya wasted 6 hours but you still did not properly break it in.