Starter not working 50% of the time

surfduke

Seaman
50% of the time when I am trying to start my 90hp Rude, I turn the key and hear a single beep, but it does nothing. After a few trys, It'll engage. Anyone know a solution? Thanks!

Walker

Captain
Re: Starter not working 50% of the time

You could have some bad wiring but first thing to do is double check to see that you have a good, fully charged battery. Then clean battery terminals and cables. Clean powerhead ends of the battery cables and where they attach.

surfduke

Seaman

The Battery is fine. Cables are clean. It just won't engage. Like the starter isn't kicking in or the switch is bad. Then, I turn it again and it fires up prefectly. Not sure how to diagnose it.

Seasport

Chief Petty Officer

Sounds like either an intermittent starter switch or solenoid. Try connecting a jumper wire directly between the battery side of the starter solenoid and the solenoid terminal that is connected back to the ignition switch. If the starter motor engages reliably when you do this, you probably have a problem with the starter switch. If still intermittent it could be a faulty solenoid.

surfduke

Seaman

Update: Ok, I took the engine cover off and listened. When I turned the key, I could hear something click on the starter, but the starter didn't spin. Tried this several times. So then, by hand, I turned the flywheel, and manually turned the starter gear. Then I turned the key and WALA it started fine. Could this isue just be a lubrication problem? Am I supposed to lube the starter shaft? If so, what do I use to lubricate it?<br /><br />Thanks for the help!

fireman57

Captain

You can lightly spray some WD-40 on the shaft and if it reliably starts the next couple times then take some very fine oil, like sewing machine oil, and lightly lube the shaft. WD won't keep it lubed but is good for checking it.

surfduke

Seaman

Thank you! <br /><br />BTW: This is the only place where, without being crude, people can talk about their Johnson's. How their Johnson's need lubrication, are bent, have a broken shaft, could use a little proping up, have a bad seal, or need a serious overhaul! Now that's a cool forum!

Walker

Captain

If the starter doesn't turn at all when it acts up I doubt its a lubrication problem. And you say all cables and connections are clean, that leaves 2 things. Either the starter itself or most probably the solenoid. When the starter does work does it spin the motor fast and free or does it labor for a second then spin then labor then spin???

surfduke

Seaman

Originally posted by Walker:<br /> If the starter doesn't turn at all when it acts up I doubt its a lubrication problem. And you say all cables and connections are clean, that leaves 2 things. Either the starter itself or most probably the solenoid. When the starter does work does it spin the motor fast and free or does it labor for a second then spin then labor then spin???
Walker.... thanks for helping....<br /><br />When the starter does start it runs fast and free... perfectly actually. When it doesn't work, I can hear something click near the starter. At fist I thought it might be the ignition switch, but I can hear the click so I think it's something else. Sometimes I have to turn the switch 4 or 5 times and it engages. The other day it was like 20 trys, then i took off the engine cover and I could hear the clicking. Then I turned the flywheel and the starter gear... and it started.

Walker

Captain

Okay, just for my satisfaction, clean battery termoinals and cables. Clean the engine ends of the battery cables. Clean the short cable that goes from the solenoid to the starter. Clean the starter switch wire that goes to the small terminal on the solenoid. Clean the ground wire, both ends, that goes to the other small terminal on the solenoid. If you still have problems then jump from the positive battery cable to the starter wire on the solenoid. If it still acts up then your solenoid is bad. If wit works every time you jump it them I suspect the starter switch or the wire to the solenoid.

surfduke

Seaman

Got it.... I'll give it a try tomorrow.... and report back.... Thanks for the help, it's nice of you to take the time for a noobie like me!

Seasport

Chief Petty Officer

The clicking noise will be the solenoid switch pulling in. It could be your starter motor that is faulty. The reason I say this is that when you turn over the starter motor by hand a little by rotating the flywheel (with the starter gear engaged) the starter motor fires up normally. This suggests a dead spot on your starter motor commutator. I'd be inclined to pull the starter motor apart and clean up the commutator.

byacey

Chief Petty Officer

Ditto, the commutator bars might need re-soldering, or else maybe the brushes are worn and or hung up.

eboylan3

Cadet

Had a car once that started doing this. Kept on for about a month. Wife kept saying buy it a new battery. No way said I, can't be battery when it turns over so good once it "hits the sweet spot." Finally bought new battery to get her off my back. Fired right up from that day on. Don't understand it, can't explain it, but that's my story And I'm sticking to it. Might want to try one of those emergency battery boxes to take this possibility out of the equation. GL.<br /><br />John

papasage

Senior Chief Petty Officer

that could have ben a bad battery conection and when you change the battery it made contack .. <br /> the way i check that put a meeter or load tester on the incomming side of cylinoid and see if it has power and then try the out going wire to starte and turn key see if you have power going to starter if so pull starter and replace or rebuild .with a load tester you can tell if it is drawing a lot of amps <br /> as for the boat starter most starter rebuild shopps can rebuild it . like other post it sounds like the starter . if you dont have a meter you can go directley from battery to starter .

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

Check the "Outboard Won't Start" thread in the Engine FAQ's forum, for exactly how to diagnose a faulty starter or solenoid.<br /><br />The starter rebuild is pretty easy even for a hacker like me, with just the Seloc manual.

surfduke

Seaman

Thank you everyone for the advice.... i'll report back the results.

RickN

Cadet

I had similar problem, some times it would start and sometimes it wouldn't. I changed the selinoid, the starter switch etc. Come to find out the bendix apparently has a rubber clutch built into it so that it doesn't strip the fly wheel. The starter was actually spinning but the bendix did not engage the fly wheel.I changed that and it now It works. I would recommend taking a multi meter and check for power on the selinoid, both in and on the outside when the key is turned. That is how I found the problem was mechanical not electrical.

surfduke

Seaman

Put a new Solonoid in and she's working like a champ. Thanks all!!!