WD40 in Carbarator?

surfduke

Seaman
A friend of mine told me he sprays WD40 in his Carb. a few times every season. Says it cleans it up like new. He says he'd never pull his carbs off before first trying the wd40 magic clean-out. Since I trust the experts on this board more than him, I want your opinion. Would you spray WD40 in your Carb? Why or why not?

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: WD40 in Carbarator?

Back when WD-40 used propane as a propellant it was an excellent staring fluid for 2 strokes, Duke.<br /><br />Now that it uses CO2 it doesn't do as well.<br /><br />The parts of a carb that need periodic cleaning are not accessible from the throat, so nothing you spray into the throat is going to do any good there.

surfduke

Seaman

Ahhh.... do you recommend putting a cleaner in the gas.... like Seafoam? Would that be beneficial? Or is the only way to do it to actually rebuild the carbs every year or 2? The boat mech. down the street from me says to leave it alone till it runs really bad.... I guess I'd prefer knowing it was running right before having any problems out on the water.

willamettejeff

Chief Petty Officer

Originally posted by surfduke:<br /> The boat mech. down the street from me says to leave it alone till it runs really bad....
Sure a boat mechanic might say this, he has a vested interest in getting a piece of the large repair bill when the engine fails because of a fuel delivery problem. It's my understanding that the majority of 2 stroke failures can be traced to just that. I know I'm being a little cynical here, but either this guys a bad mechanic or an opportunist.

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral

An engine run on the proper fresh fuel will run for a good long time. I can't remember the last time I have had my carb's apart. Probably 10 years on the 125, 5, or 6 on the 18's. I use OMC oil, and OMC carbon guard in every tank full. I have never had to decarb these engine's, as they never need it, but I run them all at the top of there RPM range.

LubeDude

Admiral

Wow, more Oregon boys at one time that I can ever remember.<br /><br />Anyway, there is no reason to spray WD40 in your carbs,[It will do nothing], there is no reason to rebuild your carbs every couple years if you are using your boat much. Dont run the carbs dry after use, and pump the bulb hard every month durring the winter months or if you dont use the boat for a month. Use a fuel stablizer if you want, [I dont]. The main thing is not letting the fuel all dry up in the carbs, ever.

surfduke

Seaman

Whoohoo.... Lubedude.... when you coming up to Florence?