evinrude fisherman 5.5 wont run below full throttle

fishmonger.33

Petty Officer 3rd Class
i have an evinrude 5.5 fisherman and it will not start or run below full throtle. the carb is spot less and its getting good spark, the compression is good and the tank is clean. the idle needle is out 1 and 1/2 turns from seated position and i am out of ideas. the serial # is 5402b c401366 and i belive it is a 1966 if that is any help. thanks

Paul Moir

Admiral
Re: evinrude fisherman 5.5 wont run below full throttle

Welcome to Iboats, fishmonger!<br /><br />Does adjusting it seem to do anything? 1 and 1/2 is only the initial setting, you'll have to turn it in to make it run better.<br />How about half-speed? At WOT is it spinning up to full rpms?<br /><br />Finally, your model number (5402) checks out as a '64 5.5hp.

fishmonger.33

Petty Officer 3rd Class

turning the idle screw any different way doesnt afect it, i dont think it is a carb issue, any other ideas

Paul Moir

Admiral

Sounds like the idle orifaces are clogged to me; you're really never sure about the carb unless you disassemble it completely (including removing the soft plug over the idle orifaces) and rebuild it with a kit. Could conceivably be a leak between the bowl and the main jet through the washer shaped gasket there causing it to run over rich. <br />You could check spark (if it's good and on time, it'll draw 1/4"-3/8" or so) but it sounds to me like you do have a carb problem as usually spark problems affect WOT a lot more than idle. Is the armature plate up underneath the flywheel turning properly? Throttle plate closing on the carb too?<br />Does pumping the primer bulb make it run better/worse/doesn't matter? <br /><br />Sorry about the 20 questions, but there's a lot that will keep an engine for idling.

fishmonger.33

Petty Officer 3rd Class

i have copletely disasembled the carb and rebuilt it with a kit. i will try checking the armature plate underneath the fly wheel. thanks again fishmonger.33

Paul Moir

Admiral

Ah, proper job. You'd be suprised by what a "rebuilt/clean carb" is to some people.<br />Try the pumping the primer bulb thing too. If the fuel pump is leaking badly, then the engine will run worse when you pump it.

fishmonger.33

Petty Officer 3rd Class

the motor runs perfect at the highest speed setting on the tiller handle but as soon as you touch it it dies instntly nosputtering, nothing if that gives you any indication. thanks. fishmonger.33