help hope i have not damaged any thing

pinto 21629

Petty Officer 3rd Class
i have a 1960 johnson super sea horse 40hp/rds 22 well it has the compression relief valve head it keeps blowing the gasket on the top cover i have put a new one in three times in the past year i even used high temp rtv sealent blowed the rtv all the way out last saturday i went out fishing and it blowed i took the cover off the motor and it was spitting water out the side of the small cover and when i looked at it looked like the cover was warped out where the water was coming out but that was right after i turned the motor off still hot from runningi know the warped spot is why the gasket is blowing but how can i fix it and i dont know if i will be able to find a new cover if it damaged hard to find motor in my area because the gaskets i had to go to a auto store and buy gasket stuff and cut out my owne because the boat store where i got my head gasket/carb kit.....said can no longer get and can i use jb weld to seal the covers if they are warped and cant find new ones im tired of changing gaskets every time i go fishing ?????? HELP PLEASE

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
Re: help hope i have not damaged any thing

is it the water jacket cover gasket thats blowing or the cyl head gasket. also the 40 did not use the compression relief valve cyl head.<br /> and ditch the silicone. if its the head then make sure the surfaces are flat. the checking procedure is in your service manual..<br /> occasionally you can repair flaws on the block with jb weld. you cannot repair the cyl sleeve or liner with it.<br /> use the correct sealant and ditch the sillicone.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

Pinto.... I assume you're speaking of the domed cover that houses the compression release area of the 1960 and 1961 40hp Evinrude/Johnson.<br /><br />The only reason that dome would blow out is that the Compression Release Valve is not seated properly in the cylinder head.... that is, in the combustion chamber. A faulty or improperly adjusted valve would be leaking the full power of each and every combustion explosion up into that dome/cover.<br /><br />You'll need to remove the cylinder head, remove the valve, then (if possible) reseat that valve with valve seating compound which is available at any automotive parts type store.<br /><br />When the valve(s) are seated properly, you could even run the engine without those domes if you cared to.... but it would look sorta weird!<br /><br />The water? That's got to be a seperate problem involving the water jacket plate/gasket (the plate bolted to the head with many 7/16" hex head bolts).<br /><br />However, at any rate, with the cylinder head off, you can correct both problems.

pinto 21629

Petty Officer 3rd Class

well i took the head off boy o boy well the one valve was ok but the other i had a time getting it out a good bit of carben on it got it out and there is like a spacer or o ring that is on one but gone on the one that was leaking and i found out where the water was comming from the valve burned a hole in the head cover gasket i dont know what to do about the valve that is missing the little o ring i would try to get a new valve but i may have a hard time finding one