1975 115hp has yet another problem

firstboat25

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Well here we go again <br />To all that helped with the lower gear oil draining and filling thank you that probelm was solved. Now onto this <br /> Boat went into the water tonight and after 20 mins of trying to get it running it finally started as soon as I would put it in gear and give it gas it would stall SO I took the air cover off and noticed that the flaps in the carb seemed to be opening to late but when I would open them by hand with the linkage it would still stall so I would give it a shot of either and she would take off but I had to have my friend drive so I could hold the carbs open with the linkage as soon as I would let go over it the engine would boug down and stall <br /> what would be causing this and why would the either help <br />also if engine would stall it was sometimes a pain to get tunning again <br /> Please help <br />Thank you guys you are the best

diggerdan17

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 1975 115hp has yet another problem

i,m not too sure what is causing your problem but i do know that you SHOULD NOT use ether on an outboard.its very very bad for it! :(

firstboat25

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Yeah I know about the either but that was all that had and firgured give it a shot and see what happens

phatmanmike

Captain

when was the last time your carbs were torn apart and cleand thoroughly. i cant spell. thats usally a strong sign of dirty low speed jets.<br /><br />id clean the carbs and check your fuel pump.<br /><br />is this motor " new to you"?

I have a 1976 115hp johnson seahorse and it would stall everytime I started to throttle up. A friend suggested using a fuel additive called yamaha ring free. So far I have treated two 6 gallon tank full with this treatment and I only had two stall outs on my last trip. this stuff is about $30.00 a quart but it is alot cheaper then having your carbs torn apart and rebuilt. Johnson also make a similiar product if you want to stick to a name brand. GOOD LUCK

michligj

Cadet

FirstBoat,<br /><br />I agree with myoutboards, your carbs probably need to be rebuilt<br /><br />Go out and get a shop manual($30-40) if you don't have one already. <br /><br />Order some carb kits ($15 each) and a fuel pump kit ($10) from this site and rebuild them yourself. It is a very easy process, and you will learn a ton from the information in the manual.<br /><br />You could probably get the whole job done and own the manual for around 100 bucks<br /><br />Have fun

firstboat25

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thank you guys very much I think I may have found the problem gonna post it