Changing lower unit gear oil -

firstboat25

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have a 115hp 1975 The boat is getting ready to make its first trip to the water in years tomorrow hopefully<br /> <br /> My question is I drained the oil out of the bottom screw and opened the top screw to put the new oil in well it just keeps spitting back out and seems no oil is going in ?<br /> Am I doin something wrong should I use a small oil to squirt the oil in <br /> I believe it takes like 28 onces of oil <br />Please any help is great as I would like to run boat tomorrow <br />Thank You

Pony

Rear Admiral
Re: Changing lower unit gear oil -

the bottom hole is the fill hole....the top is the vent hole.<br /><br />You want to take both scres out, let the LU completely drain. Next insert the oil tube of lower unit oil or pump attachment if you use one into the lower hole. Fill the LU until its starts to come out of the top hole. replace the top screw. get the other screw ready and remove the tube of oil and replace the bottom fill screw as quickly as possible. I use a BIG screw driver to tighten.<br /><br />I use one of these. makes the job a breeze as the threaded fitting screws right into the fill hole.<br /> http://www.iboats.com/mall/index.cg...l pump&**********=362101605&*******=508558155

firstboat25

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Would a oil can work ?<br />I dont have a pump and using the tube it comes in just makes a mess

solidwaste75

Seaman Apprentice

Im a newby at this so hopefully someone with more experience will answer this for you but at least this will get youre post to the top..But the lower unit is sealed so I would think that opening the bottom screw just enough to let air out while puting in new oil would probably work.. Some of youre new oil will leak out but you should be able to keep it to a min by tightning and losing the bottom screw..But with the bottom screw in and tight it would be like having a straw puting you finger on the bottom the trying to put water in it..Just a thought good luck

firstboat25

Petty Officer 3rd Class

So I should be able to put the new oil in threw the top screw ? with just leaving the bottom screw open a little ?

ob15

Chief Petty Officer

Trying to fill from the top will not alow all the air to escape. When that happens kiss lower unit by by & write a check for a new one. That's why you fill from the bottom, to make sure all the air is out.

krb113

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Pony85 set you up right. Fill from the bottom. If you try to fill from top, where's the air going to go?? NOWHERE! Won't fill that way. Follow what he posted. YES you will get messy! By the time you have messed around with going to the river/lake/rock hunting/bream fishing/frog-gigging/turtle spearing/(got it?) you will find that your hands/clothes will get messy! That's what makes boating fun! You don't have to worry about anything in the STUPID world!!

firstboat25

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Do I need the pump to fill from the bottom ?<br />Or is there another way would a oil can work ?

firstboat25

Petty Officer 3rd Class

When I try this again tomorrow I will leave the top screw off till the oil comes out of it correct? <br />Also the gear oil comes in a squeeze tube should I just use that to try and fill or go with the oil can ?<br />Thank you again everyone for all your help

Pony

Rear Admiral

I am not sure how a can will work......generally lower unit lube comes in a bottle with a nozzle that slides up into the fill hole or it will come in a bottle like motor oil comes in (this is when you would use the pump attachment) If you are really that concerned about the mess, the pump almost eliminates that.<br /><br />I can't really answer the can question as I personally have never seen LU lube in a can. but maybe some of the experts have some ideas.

krb113

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I have found that the quart plastic containers with the nipple that you "snick" off work the best for me. Also refillable, even if you have to buy the squeeze tubes ocassionally. Just refill it while you ain't doing anything. Surely you ain't catching a bus EVERYDAY!!<br /> <br />Never tried an oil can. Takes enuf gumption to fill the quart squeezer and drain leftovers into it to imagine something like that, but if it has a large enuf hole and you have a thumb as strong as Popeye's, DO IT TO IT!!!

firstboat25

Petty Officer 3rd Class

The lube I bought is in a tube that you have cut the end off <br />I dont care about the mess I just wanna make sure the oil is goin in <br />I was just thinking a oil can with a nozzle on it would maybe make it easier to get the oil in but if tube will work I will go that route

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

Forget the oil can! Also it is vital that you replace the gaskets on both of the screws.

firstboat25

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Should I have the engine in the tilt position or in the run position to refill the oil ?

rogerwa

Commander

Run position.. You get some of this on our hands no matter what you do. Just bite the bullet and get it over with..

KYHunter

Petty Officer 2nd Class

It's easy just whack the end off the tube making sure not too short, or the taper may be too large for the hole . Take both screws out, stick it in the bottom hole squeeze like all get out . When it comes out the top put top screw in, pull tube out, put bottom screw in, its not at all difficult , only takes a few minutes . Then go wash your hands . Just kidding!! <br /> <br /> Good Luck,<br /> <br /> KYHunter

Cricket Too

Lieutenant Commander

It's gonna take more than 1 tube. I used to use the tubes but it's a pain. The easiest way is to get the 1 quarts bottles, same as regular motor oil comes in, you can find them and a pump at any marine store. If you have to use the tubes, then just snip the end off, stick it in and squeeze it until it's gone, have the others ready with the tips snipped off or have a friend sitting there ready to snip the other ones as you need them, when a tube is finished pull it out and stick your thumb over the hole, then stick the next one in an squeeze. Once it comes out of the top hole put the top plug in and tighten it, then stick the bottom one in and tighten it, that's it. This is why the quarts and pump works better, you can just leave the pump in and change the quart, instead of using your thumb when you switch between tubes. Also you will need to replace the gaskets on both plugs like SoLittle said, or else it will leak and you'll have water in that lower unit, the gaskets are one time use only and cost about a quarter each. Do this in the run position.

KYHunter

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I to use the quarts , I thought his post said tubes . Sorry, I get the quarts at Wal-Mart never needed a pump or anything else.