What # spark plugs

scrapper

Ensign
what # spark plugs do I need (Champion) for My 1987 30 hp Johnson Mod # CJ30ELCUB SER# C748062 ....Thank You ....Doug

scrapper

Ensign
Re: What # spark plugs

ThanK You BoatBuoy I had the wrong ones in there, Run good on start up for about 30 secs then foul up the plugs the ones i had in there were out of my old 1965 johnson super sea horse 33 hp,. I notice they say 100/1 mixture .... Man thats not a lot of oil in there Im thinking of mabey 80/1 , tried 50/1 but couldnt see my house (which was only 20ft away) after she started up Thanks Again ....Doug

Pony

Rear Admiral

scapper- that motor should be 50:1 ..... omc changed it from 100:1 a few years after they were built. i have a 25hp from 87 and 50:1 has given no issues. i really dont think 80:1 is enough oil.

scrapper

Ensign

Ok thanks , Ill run her at 50:1 Mabey it was the wrong plugs breaking down that made it smoke so bad then .... Doug

scrapper

Ensign

thanks for the help guys Im picking up the new plugs tomorrow ,. Will let you know how it turns out ....Doug

dolluper

Captain

couple other choices are champion L78V or QL82C<br />gapped at .030 also if you can't get the champion QL77JC4

scrapper

Ensign

Hi guys , I got the QL77JC4 plugs rerichend the fuel mix to 50:1 . Hmmmm ~~ Starts up fine 10-15 secs running starts smoking like a dense fog (House dissapered again) then motor starts slowing down so I give her full open starts slowly picking up speed and clearing up in the smoke dept , If I dont catch it in time one plug fouls up , sounds too rich to me . ... Any Ideas?... Doug

BoatBuoy

Rear Admiral

Unless you've introduced some foreign substance like Marvel Mystery Oil or Seafoam, sounds like it's running very rich. Pull the plugs and see what they look like. That fuel mix is 50:1, 87 octane gas to TCW3 oil?

scrapper

Ensign

Hi Well mystery cleared on smoking , Bought new fuel at a different location other than where I usally get it . motor smoothed out , Dont smoke as much now runs great ,. Hmmmmm I wonder what the heck is wrong with the gas where i always get it ? Car & truck runs fine on it , Maybe Johnson s too fussy on what she eats .... Doug