'99 40hp Johnson System Check Gauge Wiring

Blue_Escape

Recruit
I have a 1999 40hp 2 stroke Johnson motor, the model is J40TPLEEA. It was originally a tiller steer with electronic start that I have now <br />converted to remote control. All went well till I took it for it's first test run on the water...After a few minutes running the "NO OIL" <br />light and warning buzzer on the System Check Gauge came on. Now I thought this was strange as this motor uses pre-mix 2-stroke fuel, <br />there is no oil tank on it! The original (tiller)set up had a System Check Gauge connected but when I upgraded I installed a Tacho/System Check Gauge and a new wiring harness. Unfortunatelly I didn't notice if the old wiring harness was "modified" before discarding it...lesson <br />learnt too late! I am assuming that the "NO OIL" (and possibly "LOW OIL") circuit(s) needs to be isolated or looped somehow to eliminate the "false alarm"?!? Any help would be appreciated.

fishnfiend

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: '99 40hp Johnson System Check Gauge Wiring

I have an '88 40 VRO, and have disabled the VRO and installed conventional fuel pump. Mine had a three-wire harness and black rubber plug (male)for the VRO pump assembly and alarm senders. Disconnecting the plug disabled the fuel and oil related alarms on mine.<br /><br />I believe yours would have been a 4-wire. If it's in the same location as mine, the plug would be somewhere near (below, behind, around) the starter. Maybe someone just cut the wires and didn't remove the plug, and a wire is making contact??<br /><br />Oops, just noticed that you replaced the wiring harness. I guess you are going to have to replicate the alarm and locate the wire doing the sending.<br /><br />Definitely put a damper on your maiden voyage, I'll bet. Hopefully the motor ran well otherwise. My father-in-law would suggest a loud stereo as the remedy. :D <br /><br />Good luck