Seafoam in Canada vs. make your own

BF

Lieutenant
I asked around a bit last summer and got a whole bunch of blank stares about seafoam. Closest I got was a guy who knew what it was, but said he thought its only in the states.<br /><br />So, any Cdn's found a source? Or anyone done their own with mineral oil (?), naptha & alcohol? (I saw the ingredients of Seafoam and more or less their proportions on other posts) I'm tempted to mix up some and use a spritzer bottle to fog the engine with it, but would rather not be the first person to try it. <br /><br />Or is there some other comparable product available in Canada? I've never seen any (and no-one suggested anything when I was asking around).<br /><br />Thanks...<br />Brent

phatmanmike

Captain
Re: Seafoam in Canada vs. make your own

couldnt somebody in the states mail you some.....?<br />phatmanmike@yahoo.com

BF

Lieutenant

that'd be "plan B"... actually wifey goes across the line to visit friends every couple months... if we in the northland really have a "decarbonizing gap" then I can send her to napa with a note pinned to her jacket. It's good that she doesn't read these forums ;) <br /><br />Brent

james082273

Petty Officer 3rd Class

There is some stuff you can buy made for autos that should work just as good or better. It's called Top Engine Cleaner. It is a G.M. product and you can probably buy it at any GM dealership. That stuff even has water in it to give that carbon a good shock treatment. It also has oil and petroleum distillate (carb cleaner :D ) ingredients. It comes in a can similar to Sea Foam.<br /><br />Just an idea.

lund17

Petty Officer 1st Class

BF, I asked my boat dealer about it and it appears that if you look at the MSDS of some of the different proprietary de-carb products you will find the same or very similar ingredients/ratios. They may be more expensive labeled as Quicksilver or what not, but they will get the job done. Apparently the manufacturers of these products also know of Seafoams success. Good hunting.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Shipping a Hazardous material across the border is going to get you in all kinds of trouble.<br />If you declare it as hazardous, they won't ship it.<br />If you don't declare it, you are violating all kinds of federal and international laws.<br /><br />BF, Each outboard manufacturer has their own brand of decarb solution. How about visiting your local Mercury, Yamaha, or Bombardier dealer, and buy their product. Surely they will have a can of RingFree, PowerTune, or similar product on the shelf.<br /><br />These will have the Merc or Yamaha brand on the label, so they may cost a little more, but they are the product recommended by the manufacturer.

BF

Lieutenant

checking outboard dealers is a good idea... something I hadn't done yet... Just the auto type shops, and ya, they've got carb cleaner... it'd just be nice to know that whatever I use is safe for a 2 stroke.<br /><br />And it's true that mailing/shipping across the border is hit and miss... I'd think volatile's or canister of anything would likely have problems.<br /><br />Thanks for the input.<br /><br />Brent<br /><br />PS thanks to the moderator for fixing the typo in the subject line... I couldn't see how I could go back and fix it!

MajBach

Chief Petty Officer

I know I read a post here before concerning the availability in Canada; I made a note of it anyway. It says to get it from NAPA - have you tried it from there?

BF

Lieutenant

I got an email back from the seafoam folks, they say it's available at Piston Ring parts stores (which happen to be a big outfit here in Winnipeg)... They say NAPA canada doesn't carry it (which I knew from talking to them), but they did say that a local NAPA might be willing to order it in from an american NAPA for me.... but with Piston Ring carrying it, I won't need to. <br /><br />that's the update...<br /><br />Brent