Boat Will Not Plane @ 3500PRM

Mullda162

Cadet
I've recently posted a couple of times about my 1990 Evinrude E120TLESB. I took the boat out last weekend and it ran great. It's a 1990 Stratos 270 FS. We went out last night and the boat started fine. Seems to be running a little rich, but nothing too bad. We started down the lake and as I increased the throttle, the boat would not plane out. The more throttle, the more the boat would raise up. It's got three passengers and a full tank, but it had the same last trip and ran perfectly. The only difference I can think of is that I changed the lower unit lube Thursday evening, but that went smoothly. I used Castrol Marine Lube HiVis. I'm going to pull the plugs and look at them, but I'm a little puzzled at the moment. I am getting enough RPMs. <br /><br />Any ideas?<br /><br />Thanks.<br /><br />Denny

Goodoleboy

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Boat Will Not Plane @ 3500PRM

How many rpm,s were you geting when things were running "fine".<br /><br />You may have an air leak in fuel supply lines. It could also be you have droped a cylinder due to loss of fire.<br /><br />Do a spark test to find out which one. Got to jump a 1/2 inch gap. You can find out how to run spark test by doing search on this forum.<br /><br />Good luck!

Mullda162

Cadet
Re: Boat Will Not Plane @ 3500PRM

It would start to plane out at about 3000rpm. WOT would get me about 5200rpm. I haven't performed a spark test yet, but I will in a few minutes. I'll go back over the fuel lines too. <br /><br />One other question that I have is, when I pull my plugs to check them, they are always wet. Is this common for 2 strokes? They all look the same, but the wet appearance is certainly different than for a 4 stroke.<br /><br />Thanks.<br /><br />Denny