85 70hp evinrude throttle roller and sleeve assembly

frenchy11

Recruit
I've read a lot on this site about the roller and clear plastic sleeve but I never see any solutions to it not being there. I understand it messes up the timing.<br /><br />I've tried to replace the throttle and sleeve but the local evinrude dealer can't find one for a 1985, they say it starts in 1987 with the sleeve. Does anybody have a part number? If not does it affect anything to just move back the assembly so that it's touching the throttle linkage without the sleeve? Do I really need it? The one for a 1987 is too long.<br />thanks

OBJ

Supreme Mariner
Re: 85 70hp evinrude throttle roller and sleeve assembly

Welcome to iboats!<br /><br />The cam roller in 85' was listed at just a roller...PN 330056.<br /><br />In 87 it was changed to roller and sleeve assembly....PN 397499.<br /><br />From what I can see, both are still available.<br /><br />Hope this helps.

frenchy11

Recruit

When I went to the dealer they first gave me the hard black roller without the clear rubber on it. The ID plate on the motor shows the model number being E70ELCO. Which should be a 85. I know that there was a clear rubber on the roller originally and it cracked and fell off. <br />Currently the hard black plastic roller is still intact.<br /> <br />I guess if it wasn't supposed to have the clear rubber on it, it shouldn't be needed<br /><br />thanks

Walker

Captain

Its the diameter that matters. If the black one is the same diameter as the one with the clear sleeve then you're good to go.