Gas / Oil Leaking from Prop 86 50hp Johnson

Goat67

Cadet
Hi All<br />Subject pretty much says it all<br />After a full day of fishing mostly trolling by the way and with a few WOT runs for under 5 mins loaded up and drove home parked the boat in the drive way at midnight.<br /><br />This morning and notice a puddle behind the boat leaking from the prop this was a mixture of water and Gas but mainly gas. <br /><br />I checked the tank and realized I did not open the vent on the tank before I went to bed so I did and a lot of presure was present as it was in the sun.<br /><br />So my question is do I have an issue with the carbs and they are letting gas be pushed thru the motor?<br /><br />By the way the motor runs a little rough at idle and surges at part throtle.<br /><br />Seems real strong at WOT I do not have a tach so do not know what RPM I am running.<br /><br />This was my first full day of fishing after installing this motor on my boat that I purchased on Ebay so I have no history on this motor.<br /><br />So any helpfull hints will be appreciated<br /><br />Thanks Jerry

Solittle

Fleet Admiral
Re: Gas / Oil Leaking from Prop 86 50hp Johnson

I can't imagine a way for gas being forced through the engine from pressure from the gas tank. I would suspect the surging & rough idle may be due to crud in the carb needing a thorough cleaning & rebuild. Also with any older engine new to you do the new plugs, change the gear oil, water pump & thermostats routine.