Change 2.5 h.p to Longshaft

Capt Morgan7

Recruit
I just bought a used '98 2.5 Mariner for practically nothing arto use on the back of my J-24 sailboat. Is there any way to add the longer shaft lower unit without much trouble? Is the part available and what is the price. Also, is there any way to add a different jet to make the engine turn out 3.5 hp. I noticed that a new Mercury 3.5 h.p. looks identical. THANKS!

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Change 2.5 h.p to Longshaft

Don't know about the shaft extension, Capt., but I can tell you that all that bigger jets in the carb will do is make the engine run lousy.<br /><br />Adding more gas without adding more air at the same time would produce an over-rich mixture and reduce power output.<br /><br />Myths persist that extra hp is available by simply using jets from a more powerful version of the same powerhead. They are just that. . .myths.<br /><br />Good luck on the shaft ext4ension. :)

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner
Re: Change 2.5 h.p to Longshaft

I assume that's a short shaft(15") you have now? If so, the long shaft(20")housing is $130.00, plus a new shift shaft and water tube, it it's a water cooled engine. I do not see a conversion to 25" for that motor and to be honest, it's probably a bit small for a kicker on your sailboat. You may be better off looking for a 25" shaft motor with a bit more HP and sell yours or trade it in. That way you would have the best of both worlds. More power and the correct shaft size for your rig.