Evinrude 50 with not spark... tests all ok.

BigTW

Recruit
Have a major mystery. Evinrude 50hp (@1973) was working fine .... now no spark, either cylinder.<br />1) Have disconnected key harness and jumped solenoid .... no spark<br />2) Got a new power pack, did an ohms test on new pack and old pack .... both tested ok. (Can send test instructions if anyone needs them.) Tried switching packs .... no spark.<br />3) Tested both coils .... one reads around 2.14 ohms, other in that range but jumps to 3.56.<br />4) tested charging coils ....tested ok.<br />5) Tested sensor coil ...tested ok.<br />6) took neutral safety switch off and grounded wire ....no spark.<br />7) Replaced rectifier .... no spark.<br />I'm at a loss as to what next to try. Keep thinking it's something wierd, stupid, but not obvious. <br />Any one with an idea?

fireman57

Captain
Re: Evinrude 50 with not spark... tests all ok.

Welcome to iboats. Not real familiar with your engine as I don't have a manual for it. If you still have points on this beast I would clean then or replace them and the condensers. If this is not the case at least this will bump you back up to the top where the pros will see it. Good luck.

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral

What is your cranking speed, and did you test it with the plugs out?

tdimichele

Cadet

I just acquired Evinrude 85hp , 1977. I know the motors are different, but mine has no spark either. I haven't had the time to go through all of the testing procedures you have.<br /><br />I have a thought, as I ran accross a similar situation to both of ours with a mower engine...different beasts, but bear with me.<br /><br />The mower was not getting spark, and all of the wiring was good. Removal of the engine cover and magnito pickup revealed a thick layer of rust around the entire surface that the magnito is supposed to produce electric current from before sending the current to the coil. I sanded the surface, touched up the surfaces on the pickup, and reassembled. One pull and the motor was running like new.<br /><br />Do our boats have a similar system to initiate the spark? Looking at my motor, it appears that there may be pickups directly under the flywheel. Is your's similar or do you think that could have something to do with it.

BigTW

Recruit

As to cranking speed. .... have run the spark test with plugs out and no spark. Have sufficient speed when jumping the solenoid. Haven't checked under the flywheel cause I can't get the mother off .. it's the last possibility that has been thought of, but am having difficulty trying to get the nut off without an impact wrench. However, the stator coil test shows ok as well as the charging coil test, so it seems unlikely. But i'd check it if I could get the beast off.

tdimichele

Cadet

Hammer, socket, jack handle, & screw driver?<br /><br />You'd be suprised at the problems that can be fixed with a good bang!

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Hammering away on a flywheel is a good way to break or dislodge the magnets in the flywheel! That's definitely not a good idea.

fireman57

Captain

Get a flywheel holder. Looks like the strap wrenches that Sears sold. Have a buddy use it and hold the flywheel while you loosen the nut with a socket and cheater pipe. Then use a flywheel puller to remove. Both the holder and puller can be purchased at a cheap tool store for under forty bucks.

tdimichele

Cadet

Thanks for the advice on the tools. I know that's the best way to go. Right tool for the right job. I just wanted to say a good bang will fix anything.

djzyla1980

Chief Petty Officer

I use a ratchet strap and run it along the teeth of the flywheel (1/2 on top/bottom) and around my lifting hook thingy. tighten her down good and using a breaker bar on a pipe wrench loosen the nut up... then use the steering wheel puller and take her off. <br /><br />That strap works good... figured that out when I was on the lake with limited tools and only a transom tie down strap.

tdimichele

Cadet

I was able to use a pry bar this weekend to hold the flywheel still. There is a notch in the flywheel and a bracket to slide the pry bar through. It looks like it was put there for that purpose. I put the socket and breaker bar on the nut and broke it loose with a cheater bar.<br /><br />I bought a harmonic wheel puller at sears for $20. Started cranking and got to a point I couldn't crank anymore. Hit the center bolt (pushes against the crankshaft) with a hammer a few times, not too hard but hard enough, and the flywheel popped right up.<br /><br />Under 10 minutes, or it's free...<br /><br />So I got my flywheel off and touched up surface rust with sandpaper. Re-assembled and still no spark. I did the same red plug test,...disconnect and jump selenoid..No Spark. Could you send me the power pack testing procedures? I am going to to a multimeter on the leads coming from the pickups under the flywheel. I should get a reading if that system is working correctly, right?

fireman57

Captain

While you were in there you should have at least checked and cleaned up if not replaced the points and condenser. I think that is where your problem lies.

Walker

Captain

BigTW, I just got one in with the same problem. I do have voltage going into the pack from the sensor coils while cranking. I ordered a new powerpack but I won't get it til Friday. I'll let you know waht happens with the new pack. I would appreciate it if you would send me the procedure you used to test the powerpack. <br />tcaptain52@hotmail.com

tdimichele

Cadet

I'm going to work on it right now. When I did the tested for voltage before the power pack I was using a pick tester, not a multi-meter like I should have been. I'll post in a few hours.

tdimichele

Cadet

Does my boat have points? I just saw two pickups, but the only other time I saw points was on my fathers '56 chevy. I thought this motor was equipped with CD Electronic Ignition.<br /><br />I ran some tests with the multimeter tonight. I'm not sure exactly how to read the multimeter or which setting I am supposed to put it on, but I chose the DC 10X setting. I have voltage/amperage/wattage/whatever going into the power pack on each of my 4 sensor wires. Each wire doubles when the motor is cranked over. I also have voltage coming out of the power pack. But my reading is the same when cranking over as it is when not cranking over.<br /><br />I took some pictures of my power pack and red plug that I disconnected to eliminate the ignition and initially test for spark. I left the red plug connected when I did my multimeter test. Here is a link:<br /> Power Pack and Red Plug <br /><br />Based on the test results, do I need a new power pack or is there further troubleshooting I should attempt.

Walker

Captain

No offense stugots, but don't take over someone else's thread. We haven't solved BigTW's problem and we don't want him to get lost.

tdimichele

Cadet

BigTW I'm sorry. I'm definately at fault here because I have this posted on another thread as well.<br /><br />Have you had any luck with your flywheel?

Had the same problem on my 85hp 'Rude and it was a combo of 3 things...timer base, stator, and a sheared key that holds the flywheel to the crank. The stator and base read out good ohms wise (resistance) but I didn't have one of those neon testors like the manual said to use. Best thing is to get a manual and a neighbor or buddy who can read a meter to help you. You'll find it.