1986 3 cylinder 60 horse vro

Even the boat repair place is stumped! My 60 horse outboard E60TLCD (vro is disconnected) will start up with no problem but after running it will not start back up. Here's the scenario. I launch boat into water, motor fires right up in 2 tries (advanced throttle, key start, choke pushed in). I then run motor with no issues but when I turn off engine it will not start back up for the life of me! All week long I then pull boat out of water with bow mount and drive about 30 minutes back to repair place, they hook it up to hose and it starts right up which makes me look like a fool. If anybody has any ideas or suggestion that would be great because the repair place seems to be out of suggestions.

Re: 1986 3 cylinder 60 horse vro

I should also note that the repair place said that the compression is good 115 or 120 and yes it is a evinrude!

mark.aa

Seaman Apprentice

is the fuel tank vent open?<br />do you have spark to the plugs when it will not restart?<br />have you taken out the plugs out and checked to see if they are dry or wet with fuel?<br />have you you primed the fuel system with the primer bulb.

mark.aa

Seaman Apprentice

what is you fuel /oil mix ? should be 50:1.<br />check all fuel pipes for loose conections and kinked fuel lines,check pulse pipe from crankcase to fuel pump..<br />disconect fuel pump outlet pipe and check for a good flow of fuel when cranking.<br />check the old VRO oil lines are blanked off with no air leaks.

Thanks for responding Mark. Ill try to answer your questions. Yes the fuel tank is open when running the boat. As far as having spark to the plugs when I try to restart it I guess Im not sure how you would check that. The bulb to the primer is rock hard so I know its getting gas. Fuel mix is evinrude xd 30 50:1 or one pint to 6 gallons. As far as the "pulse pipe" goes Im not sure what that is but I will pass it on the repair place. The vro has been totally disconnected which is a couple of wires, ground or negative wire, oil reservoir etc. While I have paid over $200.00 to have this fixed <br />Im a firm believer in giving this business the opportunity to fix the problem and I am maintaining a positive attitude with the owner. The owner has suggested that I drop off the boat which I have so he can take it out on the lake himself to troubleshoot the repair. No matter what I will report back to let everyone know how the problem is resolved. Thanks again Mark!!!!

Sorry forgot to mention there are 3 spark plugs and when I tried to restart it I took out the 3 spark plugs and ONE of them was black like it looked like it was flooded, the other two spark plugs looked ok. I replaced all 3 plugs with 3 brand new plugs and it still did not start. As far as what my service repair order says and I quote, "Checked the spark, good, checked compression good, running and testing , motor runs rough, cleaned the jets, adjusting, put the motor on a dyno, adjusting and testing, motor runs good, it cools good as well, adjusted the timing running testing motor runs good." Just an fyi.

mark.aa

Seaman Apprentice

swap the black flooded plug to a different cylinder then the next time you check them you can see if that cylinder is running rich,maybe a coils failing or just mixture!or flooding carb.<br />you can check the spark to the plugs the next time the motor fails by removing the lead from any plug. plug in one of the old plugs to lead and earth the plug on to a clean non painted metal surface,eg the base of one of the other plugs still in engine.have somebody crank over the motor and watch for spark(mind the flywheel).<br />the fuel pulse line goes from fuel pump to the base or the engine crankcase behind lowest cylinder.if its going back to the shop just do a visual check on the hose clamps,the plastic ones can brake causing an air leak and the pump will not run.<br />the fuel pump can be tested by disconecting the fuel hose that comes from the pump and to the carbs and crank over the engine you should have a stream of fuel.