Wrong Parts? Geez.

geekomatic

Petty Officer 2nd Class
'58 Fast Twin 18hp Electric Start.Again.<br />I waded thru the install of the points,coils,condensors.Got the armature plate reinstalled.Thanks to Capt. Joe Reeves, the thing moves around fine now. I reinstalled the flywheel,and now the flywheel wants to bang into the side of the coils (right into the side of the magnets) and take the whole armature plate around with it.I took the whole freakin' thing off again and looked at the plate and flywheel reassembled it on the floor of the garage.Sure enough,They smack into each other,regardless of the direction in which I turn the flywheel.These coils are identical, so it doesn't appear to be a left/right thing.And NO.They are not installed upside down. It would appear that I may have been sold the wrong coils.This means that I've been sold the wrong points and condensors as well.<br />From Looking at the screw holes on the coils,it's obvious that they install one way only, so I'm convinced I've got the wrong parts.I can shoot some photos if anyone is interested.At this point, I'm in no hurry to resume this project.Valuable fishing time is being wasted.<br /><br />JB-I'm trying my best not to ramble.Really.<br />Can I rip somebody a new one if I've been sold the wrong stuff? Pretty Please?

OBJ

Supreme Mariner
Re: Wrong Parts? Geez.

Did you correctly set the air gap? Notice that on the post's the coils set on, there is a chamfer on top. Set the bottom edge of the coils flush to the top edge of the chamfer and tighten the retaining screws.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
Re: Wrong Parts? Geez.

those coils will move back and forth some on the plate. sounds like yours are out to far. if you dont have the alignment ring use a hacksaw blade and set the coils so the coil shoe is even with the macined pad they sit on.