96 mercury 115

budbud

Recruit
I am about to buy a boat with a 115 mercury 1996 model and was told that engines around that year had problems with the fuel injection and were very expensive to fix. Is this a bad year motor to buy or am I ok?

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 96 mercury 115

Moving to General Outboard.

dilligafda

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 96 mercury 115

Originally posted by budbud:<br />I am about to buy a boat with a 115 mercury 1996 model and was told that engines around that year had problems with the fuel injection and were very expensive to fix. Is this a bad year motor to buy or am I ok?
Good engine, no common problems that I know of. However, I think you are mistaken about the fuel injection. This engine is carburated, not EFI. The fuel "problem" you mention probably has to do with the 2+2 system on this engine. Basicly, the bottom carbs provide enough fuel for lubrication but not for combustion below 1800 rpm. At 1800 (approx) the bottom carbs let more fuel in until the bottom cylinders are firing normally, usually around 2300 rpm. <br /><br />If you want to run the boat in that RPM range, it will not run well. Other than that, this is a very good engine. Good luck!