crank case vacuum-reed valve

marvxyz

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 6hp 1990 evinrude. which I can't get started. I am getting spark and motor will run with fuel mix sprayed into carb. I don't seem to be getting fuel to the carb. I have a new fuel pump. should I get vac at the fuel pump port,on the crank case if I turn the fly wheel by hand?

OBJ

Supreme Mariner
Re: crank case vacuum-reed valve

Marv....have you checked the float or needle in the carb is not stuck? Try this, take a small hammer,,,yes hammer.....and gently tap the sides of the carb. <br /><br />You should get a vac and press pulse at the fuel pump port. This works the pump diaphram back and forth.<br /><br />Back to the carb, have you had the carb apart and cleaned it? If your getting fuel to the carb, it could be the carb is gummed up and not letting fuel flow into the throat.

marvxyz

Seaman Apprentice

Tks OBJ, In will try that. I'm not getting gas to the carb. I will probably have carb problems once I start getting gas there. :eek:

marvxyz

Seaman Apprentice

OBJ I tried your idea of tapping the carb and feeling for a pulse. I think I felt a faint pulse. I tried to check this also by closing the choke and blocking the gas line to the carb and then turning the fly wheel. I felt no pulse at the fuel pump port. I guess, I needf to take the carb out and check reed valve. Might as well clean the carb while I'm at it.

marvxyz

Seaman Apprentice

One other question, Will the reed valve break if the motor is dropped?

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

If you drop it from say......50' might do some damage.... :) Reeds are pretty tough. Motor falls over on to floor, probably more damage to floor than reeds.<br /><br />Just turning the flywheel won't give you much pulse at the fuel pump. Motor has to be running. I would check the carb, open it up and see what it looks like.

marvxyz

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks Guys I'll take the carb back off and take a look at it.