115 starts then immediately dies

drjulian

Recruit
This is an Evinrude engine.<br /><br />My 115 will start but then dies as if it has run out of gas. I put fresh gas in the tank, and a new ball to ensure that clean fuel was flowing. I also replaced the fuel pump. Still same result.<br />If I spray starter in the air intake the engine will run until I stop. Also if I use the key to keep choking the engine it will run until I stop. It seems that fuel is not flowing into the carbs.The carbs were rebuilt last year (after nearly 10 years of running fine). <br />The boat is not used very often.<br /><br />The only odd thing I noticed is that it is particularly difficult to get the ball hard. This is why I replaced it, yet it takes a lot of pumps to get it hard and sometimes it (the ball) actually suck in on it self and I have to wait a little while for it to regain its shape for pumping. When I disconnect the fuel line at the connector I can squeeze the ball and get a good flow of fuel.<br /><br />Before I take it in for another overhaul (last year) can anyone offer any suggestions on something I may not have thought of.<br /><br />Thank you<br />drjulian

Pony

Rear Admiral
Re: 115 starts then immediately dies

First I would suggest not using starter fluid, but rather premix oil and gas in a spray bottle. starter fluid lacks lubrication qualities.<br /><br />Second, sounds to me like the carbs need to be rebuilt again, or you have a blockage in the line before the carbs (this happened to me on a 60hp). I had the same symptoms as you had, and replacing the lines did the trick. Hopefully an expert will post in here and validate this or give you some other advice.

djzyla1980

Chief Petty Officer

Sounds like your problem is in the tank.... the vent is opened right? if it is there must be something else... maybe crud on the pick up tube... if your using a permenant tank try using a portable oneif using a port. try a different one... see if that helps any

djzyla1980

Chief Petty Officer

Might have smuckered this one up... what connector we talking about? If all else fails try to bypass the connector to the motor and go straight to the pump...see if that helps any. There known to wear out or get crud in them

buddyholly

Petty Officer 3rd Class

If you can unthread the fitting that plugs into the motor do that. Then put the hose end in to a can or something so not to spill on the ground, you know how expensive it is. then pump the bulb, there shouldn't be any pressure when squeezing it. the gas should almost siphon out of the gas tank. if the end doesn't unscrew there should be a ball check valve or something simalar on the end that can be pushed in with a small screwdriver.anyway if the gas doesn't come out easily it is probly your pickup screen in the tank.