HELP!

rcarrier26

Recruit
i have a 79' johnson v6 175 seahorse. it sat up for 2 yrs neglected. it would not start. i had a fuel issue but cleaned the carbs and fixed it. right now it will not run without using starting fluid. i have great compression, i have good fuel going to plugs, i have fire on all cylinders. i am lost.

BoatBuoy

Rear Admiral
Re: HELP!

Don't use starting fluid!! Put some premixed fuel in a spray bottle and use that instead. Starting fluid doesn't contain lubrication for your engine.<br /><br />There are 2 articles in the FAQ forum. One deals with getting your motor ready to run, and the other deals with actually getting it started.<br /><br />I suggest reading those and then come back to this thread with specific questions.<br />Good luck.

rcarrier26

Recruit

i used premix now and it will start and run. this tells me that i have good spark and timing is on. but it will not run without spraying premix. i cleaned the carbs but i might have left a port uncleaned. i am not a boat tech just build custom trucks and do pit crew in nascar. thank you for ur help. i have great fuel pressure up to carbs. what could be wrong with my carbs.

djzyla1980

Chief Petty Officer

Sounds like theres some crud in there. I'd take um off and clean rebuild them. The kits are cheap enough and I learned if there off rebuild. No use wasting time to clean them out. I just pulled them a week later to rebuild.

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

Dave is right. Pull the carbs and clean them. Soak them in carb cleaner after disassembly. Use canned choke and carb cleaner to spray out the passages especially the jets if you can't get them out and follow up with compressed air. Do install carb kits. You can get them from a local John/Rude dealer. <br /><br />Watch how you take them apart and re-assembly should not be a problem. To set the float, install the needle valve seat, needle and float. Invert the carb and adjust the float arm so the float sets level with the bowl gasket surface.<br /><br />And....welcome to iboats!