please help me, fustrated....

mercinrude

Recruit
at this point if anyone can help me i will drive out there and shake your hand. i have a 1983 evinrude 150 v6 non oil inj, its been at several mechanics several times 1500$ later and still runs the same, heres the problem the motor will start, idle, rev up in neutral, but when warm refuse to run and also refuse to go into gear without stalling any helo would be greatly greatly appreciated.. thank you <br /> nate laflamme granby MA.

D

DJ

Re: please help me, fustrated....

merc.<br /><br />A couple things.<br /><br />1. Any 2 stroke will rev up easily, even if only running on half, or less, of it's cylinders.<br /><br />2. I'll bet you're not running on all six.<br /><br />That can be a few things.<br /><br />1. Ignition. Check each cylinder with a spark tester (Cheap at auto stores).<br /><br />2. You may have clogged carburetors.<br /><br />Tell us what the $1,500.00 got you.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Welcome Nate!<br /><br />That V6 is a crossflow which is the most basic of designs -- and very good. Lets start at the begining. <br /><br />Whats the compression? We're sure its OK but this is where we start.<br /><br />Carbs clean? Again, we assume so but we have to know.<br /><br />Spark good?<br /><br />What have the mechanics done? And after spending that much why dont you just part it at their door until its right?

mercinrude

Recruit

the carburetors have been rebuilt, all new lines, new fuel pump, new head gaskets, new impeller, lower end rebuild, timing, thanks again for the help so far

Goodoleboy

Chief Petty Officer

Welcome to the forum!<br /><br />How good is the compression on your motor. You would like to see 100 PSI and not less than 85 PSI.<br /><br />If its below 80 it can still be made to run, altho not very strong. If it will pass the comp. test.<br /><br />Then I would do a spark test. each plug wire should jump a 7/16 gap, with a hot blue spark. Should have a good snappy sound. Its absouletly has to pass this test. No use to work on fuel until you get the worked out.<br /><br />Once you have that and it still dosent run to your expations then move on to the fuel system.<br /><br />Note also that Timeing and link and sync procdure is super critical to a good running motor.<br /><br /> You can have no air leaks in your fuel lines. Make sure all clamps are tight and no cracks in fuel hose.<br /><br />Primer bulb must pump up hard, When pluged into motor. If it stays squishy, then you either have a leaky carb. needle and seat or the check valve is shot in the primer buld.<br /><br />If it passes this test and still dosen run to suit you. Then move on to carb. cleaning and rebuild.<br /><br />Remove all welch plugs , Clen all passages with carb cleaner, And clear all passages with compressed air. <br /><br />When you think you have them really good and clean. Then go back and cleanem again just for good measure. Reassembely carefuly.<br /><br />And first thing you do, buy your self an OEM service manual. Best money you will ever spend on your motor.<br /><br />Good Luck!

mercinrude

Recruit

i told my mechanic to just turn up the idle for me witch he did, now the boats will idle, rev up,go into gear but you cannot give it any kind of throttle or she will just choke and die, very depressing ive had the boat all summer and havnt been able to enjoy it yet as summeres ending

mercinrude

Recruit

also i forgot to include all the mechanics say it runs awsome out of water but everytime i dock it, its alwayse the same...

elmo

Seaman Apprentice

have a story like this from years ago, auto mechanic myself for over 20 years. wasn't outboard mechanic until my story of about 12 years ago. there seems to be mechanics that are parts changers, then mechanics that diagnose problems and replace what is needed.... understand...... first on list is find new mechanic....... if last guy did all the mechanical stuff your talking about,,, why didn't he inspect the electrical system, ignition mainly, before emptyin' your pockets. weak spark for whatever the reason will not burn fuel, thus no acceleration, stall-dies, etc. and turning up idle will not help. find a new mechanic and ask him to check the ignition system, or the previous advise to buy a tester yourself will also shed some light on your problem i think. good luck, been there, done that......

Goodoleboy

Chief Petty Officer

Nate....the stalling when you put it into gear can be caused by incorrect link & sync.<br /><br />Timeing advance and fuel advance must start precisley togather.<br /><br />You must have a manual for this. Just about impossibe (for me anyways) to talk you tru it without pictures.<br /><br />Luck to ya!

Goodoleboy

Chief Petty Officer

Nate....the stalling when you put it into gear can be caused by incorrect link & sync.<br /><br />Timeing advance and fuel advance must start precisley togather.<br /><br />You must have a manual for this. Just about impossibe (for me anyways) to talk you tru it without pictures.<br /><br />Luck to ya!

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Actually the timing advances slightly before the carbs start to open. And the motor will always run better out of the water because it has no back pressure on the exhaust.<br /><br />If your compression is OK, the issues you mention all point to the carbs. Assuming its running on all 6.