Non existing model number 50RSL77S

CorB

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have a '77 50 HP rope start/tiller model Johnson. This motor has never run before and I want to check and clean things first before trying to let it run. That's why I want to order some parts like f.i. a head gasket and carb kits.<br />Since BRP has diagrams and part numbers on their site recently, I thought I would search the part numbers myself. But I can't find the model number over here, in fact there wasn't a 50 HP in '77 according to the BRP parts listings. The only 50 HP near '77 is a electric started model in 1975 and there was a 50 HP rope started in 1979, but some parts like the air silencer and power pack differ from my model.<br /><br />On the serial plate it also says "Hong Kong". Maybe different models were used there?<br /><br />Anyone a explanation for this 'nonexisting' model number or is the BRP site incomplete?<br /><br />Thanks in advance.

OBJ

Supreme Mariner
Re: Non existing model number 50RSL77S

It's a good model number Cor but is listed under Commercial Engines. Master Tech site has a full listing of Model numbers if you want to check it out. The model number itself is not listed on my Part Smart program from BRP. I would have to go to the parts book to look up parts.

CorB

Petty Officer 3rd Class

OBJ,<br /><br />Thanks, that explains a lot. I'll guess it's up to my dealer to find the right part numbers then.<br /><br />Another question for anyone who might know: The tiller handle (hope that is the right word, I mean the handle for steering & throttle) on this motor got lost during the shipment. Since it is an uncommon model and I'm assuming this part isn't available new anymore or would be very expensive then, are there other 'common' tiller models with the same tiller handle, so I know how I can find a used one?

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

Search up TwinCity Outboards Cor. They carry a lot of new and used "old" parts. They may be able to help. If there is a boat motor junk yard near you, it's possible you may find a handle that'll fit.

CorB

Petty Officer 3rd Class

OBJ,<br /><br />Thanks a lot, I will find out what TwinCity might have for me.