Is Seafoam "motor treatment" and "trans tune" the same?

ZmOz

Captain
Does anybody know if the Seafoam "Motor treatment" and "Trans tune" are the same thing? On their website they link to the same file for the MSDS of both of them. The reason I ask is I found a store about 1/2 mile from my house selling only deep creep and trans tune, none of the motor treatment. It would be much easier for me to get than going to napa...

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner
Re: Is Seafoam "motor treatment" and "trans tune" the same?

Are you putting this in your boat or car???? Sounds like it is for a transmission. Maybe I'm misunderstanding your purpose.The deep creep link was my mistake...

radsrh

Petty Officer 1st Class

ZmOz I don't want to be mean but the quote: with what people already typed and then your answer is a little annoying. We all know what people typed and reading it twice is not as nice ;)

ZmOz

Captain

radsrh, the reason I (and many other people) quote is so that people know what you're replying to. That's the whole reason the quote button is there. <br /><br />RB - I'm asking if the motor treatment and the trans tune are the same thing, just like my original question says. It doesn't matter what I'm using it in.

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

Looks like they are the same. Why, I don't know. But they do have the same properties. I would have to ask why they would make 2 different products that do the same thing. Sales, I'd guess. So whatever you're going to do with it, have at it.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

If you go to this page:<br /> http://www.seafoamsales.com/products.htm <br /><br />and click the link to the MSDS under the "MOTOR TREATMENT", you get a pdf that lists both products by name, and part number. <br /><br />On the 10th line, it states:<br />
Note: Each product contains the same ingredients; however, the percentage of each ingredient varies within the limits of the printed percentages, depending on the use of each product.
The ingredients and printed percentages are:<br /><br />pale oil 40-60%<br />Naptha 25-35%<br />IPAlcohol 10-20%<br /><br />The Deep Creep product as lo lists the same ingredients and percentages.<br /><br />So yes, the products are very similar, and may in fact be identical. The whole percentages lingo may just be to protect the "proprietary formula", as they have also made this declaration on the MSDS.<br /><br />I seem to remember that the old old SeaFoam can, described using it in transmissions.<br /><br />I like section X of the MSDS. "Keep liquid and vapors away from heat, sparks, and flame." :D

cobra 3.0

Lieutenant Commander

Now that I see the recipe, I think I'll make my own! Naphta and isopropanol are the main ingredients in many carb/internal engine cleaner products. I guess they add the oil as a lubricant and to help it stick to to whatever parts its put on...especially inside the actual cylinders/pistons.

Paul Moir

Admiral

From RB's second link (technical section)<br /><br />
DEEP CREEP is SEA FOAM in an aerosol can.
But I take it you know that already ZmOz. You want something to pour in a tank? (IE the transmission treatment)

ZmOz

Captain

Originally posted by Paul Moir:<br />From RB's second link (technical section)<br /><br />
DEEP CREEP is SEA FOAM in an aerosol can.
But I take it you know that already ZmOz. You want something to pour in a tank? (IE the transmission treatment)
The motor treatment is already the "pour in the tank" type. It's just that they don't sell that in the store right next to me...only the trans tune. And if they're the same.................

gss036

Commander

I would think that anyone who puts it in the tranny better have a filter handy and change the fluid after few miles of driving. Seafoam really cleans out the carbon and junk and most auto transmisson probably won't like the alcohol very well as it will dry out the seals and rubber "O" rings.

ZmOz

Captain

Yeah, I would never actually use that stuff in a transmission. :) I finally got a reply from Seafoam...<br /><br />
The two products are interchangeable; however, please note the ingredients percentage wise are different. You can use the Trans Tune and accomplish the same thing with the Motor Treatment as they have the same ingredients, only different percentages.

radsrh

Petty Officer 1st Class

ZmOz did you ask the store that is next to you if they would/could get the regular Motor treatment for you. If they have the Trans tune they should be able to get the motor treatment for you.

quantumleap

Master Chief Petty Officer

Personally, I would have a hard time pouring something in the gas tank that was formulated for the transmission. Even if the ingredients are identical. You can wash your clothes with 1% bleach and 99% water with no problems but try reversing the dilution to 99% bleach and you have a totally differnt outcome. I am a little suprised that Seafoam would suggest interchanging the products when they were obviously designed for two different uses. Just my $.02

ZmOz

Captain

Originally posted by quantumleap:<br />Personally, I would have a hard time pouring something in the gas tank that was formulated for the transmission. Even if the ingredients are identical. You can wash your clothes with 1% bleach and 99% water with no problems but try reversing the dilution to 99% bleach and you have a totally differnt outcome. I am a little suprised that Seafoam would suggest interchanging the products when they were obviously designed for two different uses. Just my $.02
I would be willing to be they are the exact same thing, and it's all in the marketing. Why would seafoam mix up two completely different products? A different formulation isn't going to do anythign different in a transmission than the regular stuff would. And it would add alot of extra cost to their production line. We're only talking about a mix of naptha, alchol, and oil here - it's not rocket science.

quantumleap

Master Chief Petty Officer

ZmOz, your original post asked if they were the same, then the company verified they were not, then roscoe pointed out on the MSDS that the percentages differ, and then you continue to assume that they are the same thing??? The chemical percentages would be different for the same reason that oil and transmission fluid are different. Seafoam verified that the formulation is different between the two. I don't want to sound rude, but I agree with radsrh that your constant use of quotes are mildly annoying. You can just address the person you are speaking to by name as I did with you at the beginning of this reply. So far, you've quoted five times in this thread alone, which makes for some pretty redundant reading.