Big Prob.. Throttle? Internals? Paul/CATransplant?

rennen

Petty Officer 3rd Class
1963 Evinrude 40hp Slectric shift<br /><br />Well Guys, I just put the boat in the water for the first time, after rebuilind the carb. It ran like a charm!!! for about a mile.<br /><br />Then, Bam!!! I felt a clunk on the throttle lever. And it died. <br /><br />I tried to start it again and nothing.. I shorted the safety switch and it turned over fine. Then It stopped mid crank. Like the battery wasnt strong enough. I checked the battery connections and the Positive side was smokin hot. (it was also loose where the wire comes to the terminal connector) I tightened it up and it cranked over well, kind of... The flywheel would just stop moving mid crank. So I decided to stop and take it home.<br /><br />After examining the throttle box. Everything looks fine. (other than my idle stop is stuck)<br /><br />The throttle linkage on the motor moves with the flywheel, and the way that it moves is suspicious. It is really tight on the flywheel. I know that it is supposed to move but it seems too tight.<br /><br />I rotated the flywheel counter clockwise and it felt like something was sticking. Then back clockwise and it went smooth. The next time I rotated it Counterclockwise, it stopped like something inside the crankcase was broken.<br /><br />Is there any easy way to check it I broke a rod or something. Can I pull the plugs and insert a screwdriver to check if the cylinders are moving.<br /><br />Any other thoughts?

lark2004

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Big Prob.. Throttle? Internals? Paul/CATransplant?

Hi Rennen, you can put a screwdriver down the spark plug holes. Be carefull not to get it caught in the ports as the piston come up.<br /><br />You should only ever turn the flywheel clockwise, turning it counterclockwise will damage the waterpump impeller.<br /><br />I would pull the flywheel off if it were me, and double check that nothing has come adrift and could be causeing the flywheel to hit the coils.