take off Hesitation

Jaykappy

Recruit
Hello - I am going to describe my problem and hope that someone might have some insight. <br /><br />I bought a boat (77 Evinrude 70hp). At first It was a bit rough to start. When I pushed the throttle wide open I would have to tap the choke (the key choke on the control unit). I could stop and start it fine and take off. If I sat for 20 minutes it was a bear to get started.<br /><br />I had the carbs rebuilt and a new throttle line put in and it starts great now. When I first put in the the water (cold) it starts right up but get a little blurp of hesitation when I give it full throttle. It runs great. I can stop and go without hesitation. My problem is when I stop for 20 minutes. The problem of getting it started is gone. It starts right up after 20 minutes. The problem now is when I try and give it gas (throttle). It bogs down and if stalls it is tough to start. If I horse the throttle back and forth I can eventually get it to run wide open.<br /><br />Right now that is the only way I can run it. That is by moving the throtle from just in gear to full throttle (back and forth a bunch of times) till I get the engine to wake up. After that I am good. I can stop and shut it off and take off again AS LONG AS ITS WITHIN A MINUTE OR TWO....if I wait 20 plus minutes I have to go through the whole back and forth throttle game.<br /><br />Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. <br /><br />THanks

Goodoleboy

Chief Petty Officer
Re: take off Hesitation

Welcome to forum!<br /><br />If it were me I would do a link and sync. on motor. That gets carbs. opening at same time the timeing begins to advance.<br /><br />These two events have to happen at exatcely the time. If one starts before the other then it will bogg down and be a bear to get to build RPM'S.<br /><br />I would also check to make sure that WOT timeing is set correct.<br /><br />Good luck!

Cricket Too

Lieutenant Commander
Re: take off Hesitation

Ask whoever rebuilt the carbs if they did a link and synch.