1985 Johnson 90 hp V4

rich55

Cadet
Question regarding fuel fitting. After attaching fuel line from gas tank to motor I noticed another fuel type fitting that comes out out from the motor just below where the connection is made. There was not a hose there when I got the motor. What is this fitting for. Does it run extra fuel back to the tank? Is it needed? Thanks for any help.

Cricket Too

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 1985 Johnson 90 hp V4

Did you conect your fuel line with a fitting onto the outside of the engine pan, or directly into the motor?

vranasaurus

Petty Officer 2nd Class

It is probably the fitting for the VRO. If it has been removed you don't need to worry about it. But you need to make sure that it has been disabled.

rich55

Cadet

Connected it to the fitting on the outside that comes through the cover. What is VRO. Not familiar with it. I assume it has been run in the past without a hose to it. Not sure on the history.

vranasaurus

Petty Officer 2nd Class

VRO is a system that mixes the oil and the gas. It requierd the use of an external oil tank.<br /><br />A lot of the VRO's were removed because they were believed to be unreliable and the cause of Engine failures. I do not know if this is the case. I do know, however, that a lot were replaced with standard fuel pumps. What does your fuel pump look like?<br /><br />If the VRO is disconnected then don't worry about that fitting and just make sure you premix your oil and gas at 50:1(gas to oil).

rich55

Cadet

Thanks for the info. I will check it out. Have not really looked at it yet.

Salty Tricks

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Rich55<br /><br />Are you using a standard OMC type fuel quick disconnect at the motor?

Walker

Captain

That fitting is for the oil line to the VRO pump. You need to determine if you have a disabled VRO pump or a standard fuel pump. If you have the VRO pump , which will work just fine, you need to make sure that the oil inlet side is capped off air-tight.

WillardIII

Recruit

I have the exact same motor, which I just bought. While I cannot answer your question, do you have any experience adjusting the low speed idle adjustment?