CMC Tilt/Trim - Now won't run at wot

johnjsa

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I had a CMC aftermarket tilt/trim unit pn my 1982 Bomber Bassmasster 15' boat with a Johnson 70 HP on it. My tilt had quit working so I thought this was the best route. But now it won't come out of the hole when there are 2 of us in the boat, until my buddy gets up front in the boat & even then it struglles, finally taking off. I had taken it to my local marine dealer & they replaced part of fuel hose & changed a spark plug, but still have the problem. Any ideas? I'm about ready to yank the CMC off & go with what I had even with the tilt not working just right, cause at least it ran really well.

D

DJ

Re: CMC Tilt/Trim - Now won't run at wot

John,<br /><br />A common mistake made with set back trim systems is that the engine gets mounted too low. The setback allows/requires you to mount the engine higher than you had it when it was mounted directly to the transom.<br /><br />Here is something to look at.<br /><br />1. Run the trim all the way down.<br /><br />2. Hold a yardstick along the keel of the boat with part of it extending past the transom.<br /><br />3. The cavitation plate (plate above prop) should be at least an inch higher than the keel of the boat.<br /><br />All this is ASSUMING that your engine is healthy.