1961 Johnson 40 H.P. won't run full out at wot.

Saskatoon2005

Master Chief Petty Officer
My 1961 Johnson does not run at highspeed. I mean when I open the throttle all the way, it runs at like half throttle. It was running much better before i switched gas tanks. My other gas tank was mixed differently I think. Please help. I want my boat to go full speed ahead when I punch it.

Goodoleboy

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1961 Johnson 40 H.P. won't run full out at wot.

I susect you have an air leak in fuel line. Or when you switched tanks you may have picked up some crud and is now in your carb.<br /><br /> Or mabey your fuel filter is co cloged it can only feed a small amount of gas thru.<br /><br />Let us know what you find.<br /><br />Good luck!

itstippy

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1961 Johnson 40 H.P. won't run full out at wot.

Your other gas tank was mixed differently you think? You need to be very particular about the gas you burn. Fresh. No more than two months old, period. And that's a full tank stored in a cool place. In fact, two months is really pushing it; after that use it in the lawnmower. Always mixed at 24:1 with good TCW outboard oil. No exceptions. Try some fresh properly mixed gas and see if it still lacks power. Post back either way. Good luck!