1996 Evinrude 115hp dying

broncfan2002

Cadet
I am new to this forum, so please bear with me. I have a 1996 Evinrude 115 and I am having a problem with it. About 3 weeks ago I was driving it and everything was going well until I hit about 4500 rpm. It started making a clattering sound for a moment. Then the rpm's dropped rapidly and it died. This went on for a few times, but then it worked itself out. Then I took it out 2 Sundays ago and it did the same thing. I thought it may work itself out, but it did not. This past Saturday, I took it out and for the first few minutes, no issues. Then it did it again at about 4300 rpm. I was able to back off of the throttle to keep it from dying and then it would drop to about 1000 rpm. As the time went on, it started doing it at about 3500 rpm. <br />My question is has anyone ever experienced this and where do I start from to figure it out? Your help is greatly appreciated and I want to thank you guys in advance.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1996 Evinrude 115hp dying

Welcome!!<br /><br />Which 96 115 do you have? The crossflow or the 60 degree looper? The model number will tell.

broncfan2002

Cadet

I am not sure which one it is. I would have to check to see this evening.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Cool. Keep us posted.<br /><br />I'd almost bet its the crossflow but lets wait & see before we head down the wrong path.<br /><br />Do you know what spark plugs are in it?

broncfan2002

Cadet

I'm not sure of that either. I definitely appreciate your interest in assisting me with my issue.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

No problem. Just wanted to hand out the homework early...

broncfann

Recruit

Still same person, just cant remember password. That one is at work. The only thing I saw on the motor was it has an SPL label on the outside in red letters. Dhadley cna you help me with that info? Anyone else, I would really appreciate any assistance I could get. One thing I have thought of is what would happen if someone put sugar in the fuel tank and how could I tell if so? My neighbor is a jerk and I wouldn't put it past him to sabotage me like that.

Goodoleboy

Chief Petty Officer

Your model number is on the transom bracket. As you are standing behind boat it will be on your right hand side. Just where motor hooks onto back of boat.<br /><br />Good luck!

Goodoleboy

Chief Petty Officer

Iam guessing that your V should be a U.. If so then you have a 1997.<br /><br />What numbers are on your spark plugs?<br /><br />Good Luck!

broncfan2002

Cadet

Well that is something I would have to take a look at this evening. I think the motor was manufactured in 96, but yeah I guess it is a 97.

broncfan2002

Cadet

Is all of his info helping? I want to get this problem rectified. My wife is being a typical woman and saying "I told you that you should have waited and looked more before making a decision." But I think this problem is only minor. She is just ready to get back on the water and catch some more fish.

Goodoleboy

Chief Petty Officer

Yep the info. is helping. But really need to know the heat range on your plugs.<br /><br />They can cause detnation. I suspect thats what your clattering noise may be. <br /><br />Can also be carbon hot spots on heads, or pistons. Thats just my guessing.<br /><br />DHadley and others will have a much better idey than me about your "clattering noise"<br /><br />I think your gona want to do a compression check, just to see if your engine is healthy enough to continue with tuneup.<br /><br />Good Luck!

broncfann

Recruit

The spark plugs are Champion QL77JC4. I ran a compression test today and the bottom two were at 110, the upper left is 100 and the upper right is 85. What does this now mean? Thanks for your continued help. The plugs are kind of black, as well.

Goodoleboy

Chief Petty Officer

I kinda suspision you have a brokein ring on top right...85 pounds!<br /><br />110 to 85 is not good. I think thats where the "clattering" is comeing from.<br /><br />If your cylinder wall is not scared up, Mabey you can get by with a few strokes with a hone, and a new set of rings for that piston.<br /><br />Mind ya now Iam just guessing. Let DH or Joe or Clanton or RJ thats much better qualified than me, give you their opinion first, before you start takeing things apart.<br /><br />Luck to ya!