Looking for help

spectrum17

Cadet
Greetings,<br />I'm new to this forum but I'm hoping that some kind soul can give me a hand.<br /><br />First, don't laugh. <br />Last fall I purchased, from a buddies father-in- law a 1963 Glasron Skiflite, trailer and 1959 Johnson 35hp Super Seahorse (model RDS 21 B)<br />The whole package has been in a garage since 1969, except one year on a pond in 1986. The whole deal cost me $350.00.<br /><br />I started working on the motor a few month ago.<br />I've rebuilt the carb, water pump and replaced the fluids and coils. Points look fine, but I have some new ones on order anyways.<br /><br />I have Seloc's book and have found it a great help but here's where I'm having problems. I can usually get it to start (most often with the help of ether) but it will only run for about 30 seconds. After that point it just quits, but will start up again <br />I have the time and patience to work on it, but need a little assistance. What else should I be looking at?<br /><br />Also, if someone could direct me towards a source for the pull start rachet that sits atop the flywheel, I'd be very appreciative.<br /><br />Thanks,<br />Dan

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: Looking for help

The part number for the ratchet is 202111 and it lists for about $20.00. If you don't run across one, I have a few good used ones on hand.<br /><br />DO NOT use ether as it has absolutely no lubrication qualities. Use your premixed fuel/oil mixture in a spray container of some kind.<br /><br />Check to see that you are actually getting fuel into the carburetor float chamber.<br /><br />(Carburetor Adjustments - Two Adjustable N/Vs) <br />(J. Reeves)<br /><br />Initial settings are: Bottom high speed = seat gently, then open 1 turn out. Top slow speed = seat gently, then open 1-1/2 turns. <br /><br />Setting the high and low needle valves properly:<br /><br />NOTE: For engines that DO NOT have a shift selection, obviously there is no NEUTRAL position. Simply lower the rpms to the lowest setting to obtain the low speed needle va /lve adjustment.<br /><br />(High Speed) Start engine (it will run pretty rough), shift into forward gear, take up to full throttle. In segments of 1/8 turn, wating for the engine to respond between turns, start turning in the bottom high speed needle valve. You'll reach a point whereas the engine will either start to die out or spit back (sounds like a mild backfire). At that point, back out the needle valve 1/4 turn. Within that 1/4 turn, you'll find the smoothest setting. <br /><br />(Low Speed) Slow the engine down to where it just stays running. Shift into neutral. Again in segments of 1/8 turns, start to turn the top needle valve in. Wait a few seconds for the engine to respond. As you turn the valve in, the rpms will increase. Lower the rpms again to where the engine will just stay running. Eventually you'll hit the point where the engine wants to die out or it will spit back. Again, at that point, back out the valve 1/4 turn. Within that 1/4 turn, you'll find the smoothest slow speed setting. <br /><br />When you have finished the above adjustments, you will have no reason to move them again unless the carburetor fouls/gums up from sitting, in which case you would be required to remove, clean, and rebuild the carburetor anyway.

spectrum17

Cadet

Thanks for the tip on the ether.<br /><br />I have made the above stated adjustment to the low speed , as per the instructions I have been given, and still the same reaction. <br />Fuel dones not SEEM to be an issue but I've got a fuel pump rebuild kit ordered.<br /><br />Thanks,<br />Dan

fireman57

Captain

Not trying to be a smartaleck but you do have the two line pressure tank don't you? Have you pumped up the pressure in the tank and made sure that the tank is holding pressure?

CATransplant

Admiral

Fireman,<br /><br />Actually, he doesn't have a pressure tank. The Super Seahorse RDS-20, in 1958 was the first of the 35 hp Johnsons to get a fuel pump.<br /><br />The problem this guy's having sounds like it could be a fuel pump problem. Rebuild kits are available from Sierra Marine.

willamettejeff

Chief Petty Officer

Try continuously squeezing the primer bulb after the engine starts. If the motor keeps running your problem is probably with the fuel pump.

fireman57

Captain

CAT, didn't know that. Pretty cool info. I know that my '58 big twin 35 had it and your's does too doesn't it? Was this like their beta version on the Super Seahorses?

fireman57

Captain

Welcome to iboats. Sounds like it's time to rebuild the carbs. Kits are pretty inexpensive and the job is pretty straightforward but get a manual first. Don't worry about the price of the manual it is less than one hour's shop time.

spectrum17

Cadet

Actually, the carb has been rebuilt, just waiting for the fuel pump rebuld parts to come in. I'll update you all after the rebuild. <br />Thanks so much for all the replies.<br /><br />Dan

spectrum17

Cadet

Just finished rebuilding the fuel pump, will install that and new points and condensers tomorrow. I'll keep you updated (if you are indeed interested).<br />Mr. Reeves, I'd be very intested in that rachet you mentioned above. Let me know a price and payment methode.<br /><br />Thanks,<br />Dan

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

Dan.... My address is below. Contact me and remind me of what the email is about.

spectrum17

Cadet

Yee Haw!!!!!!!!!!<br />Got it running this AM.Needs a little treaking but it's solid.<br />Thanks for all the help!<br /><br />(expect more questions this fall when I start rebuilding my 80HP Evinrude Speedifour)<br /><br />Dan