Rectifier compatibility?

Salty Tricks

Petty Officer 2nd Class
A mechanic friend gave me a water cooled rectifier for a V4 crossflow (year unknown). I have a 1985 90hp Johnson V4 which uses a watercooled rectifier that looks strikingly familiar. While they look similar will this rectifier actually work on my application?

Steve135

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Rectifier compatibility?

I am under the opinion that it will, if it fits the hole. There are many different water cooled rectifiers since they were used. On looper motors they have a different hole pattern then other motors. This being said they also are not all the same. The hole pattern is 5.0 inches across the outside holes on all,then the inside holes are 2.0 apart from eachothere but 2.5 inches across on V4 loopers and 2.875 on most others. Ok now there are 3/6, 3/10, 35 amp rectifiers regulators. Ok I can't tell the 3/6 or 3/10 apart from each other but the 35 amp has a large red wire 8 gage as oposed to the smaller ones having a looks like 14 gage wire. The 3/6,3/10 means at idle they only can provived 3 amps of power but at 4600 rpms they can provide 6 or 10 amps of power. Ok you need to see if yours was a 35 amp model or other I am guessing its a smaller one. Just look to see if the hole pattern is the same. Then look at your ussage of power. I just changed a 35 amp for 3/10 amp unit with the same hole pattern and I have no problems. They all have part numbers stamped on them just post your number and the one you want to use I have researched them all I will let you know.

Salty Tricks

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for your help Stinky2<br />Heres what I got:<br /><br />My 1985 parts book calls for a 395391. That's not what's on the motor now! On the motor is a 584423. I have a 584204 in my hand that I am wondering if it will work.. The one on the boat does have a larger gauge red wire. However I am not certain this is the right rectifier for this motor.<br /><br />My OMC manual lists a 10 amp alternator (and a 6 amp alt. for a ML(?) model motors). It does not mention a 35amp for any model below 150Hp

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Your crossflow has the small charging system. You can use any crossflow reg/rec. If you happen to have the 35 reg/rec it'll work fine on your motor.<br /><br />The looper reg/rec wont fit in the hole on your motor.

Salty Tricks

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks Dhadley....the rectifier I want to use has a red wire that is equal size (gauge) of the others. I assume this is for a smaller output alternator? Also the wiring colors are slightly different. Instead of purple I have blue. Instead of 2 yellows I have what appears to be white (one with a tracer color,maybe grey), and a dark grey which I assume is the tach lead. From eyeballing it, it does look like the hole pattern matches but I will need to pull the flywheel to be certain. Still sound compatible?

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

There are only 2 shapes. The crossflow rec/reg has a curve on one side and is smaller than the looper reg/rec. If it looks close then its the right one. The wrong one wont fit in the hole. Way different.

Steve135

Petty Officer 1st Class

The one you have 584204 is a 3/10 amp model. If it fits the hole you can use it. This one 584423 I can find a listing for it. Since the colors of the wire are different it might just be a nock off brand. The one you say it calls for the part number has been changed to the 35 amp model. this is a one size fits all now. They don't want to make all differnt sizes so they jus make the biggest one now.

Salty Tricks

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks to all! Another question..... does the rectifier replacement require a gasket? Can I use some sealant instead? What do you recommend?