Lower end woes???

Taghster

Recruit
Hey guys, I'm a former Chrysler now Jonny owner 1971 50hp Hydro-electric shift. We had a little problem last night with the bottom of the lake... Anyway, prop hit bottom at a relativly slow speed stopped turning no noise to speak of no loud bangs or anything. Engine reved as high as throttle control was. Brought the idle back down boat idled fine gave it a little gas no problem, Boat would not move... No Forward or Reverse. Few minutes later overheat alarm came on, shut it down quick rowed back home. <br />Any Ideas what might be wrong before I start taking it apart.<br />Thanks!

Goodoleboy

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Lower end woes???

Welcome to the forum!<br /><br />Since your prop nor your water pump is turning. My guess is that you have a broken drive shaft.<br /><br />Your shear pin should have broke first. Unless some wiseguy put a dowel pin in it.<br /><br />Or prop could be rusted to prop shaft. In which case prop will be the devil to get off.<br /><br />Prop shaft should always have a good smear of greese each spring.<br /><br />sorry bout that.<br /><br />Good luck!

Taghster

Recruit

I pulled the lower end... It is the drive shaft. What years are the same as this one??? if any or a rude. I guess my next question is does anyone have a drive shaft for this motor? Are they hard to find?<br /><br />Thanks<br />Mike

Taghster

Recruit

Does any one have any advice as far as what years are compatible with this motor. In the seloc man it looks like 71 & 72 50 HP, is that all there is?<br /><br />Does anyone know where I can find a shaft or L/U for this or are they that hard to find? One more question... The shaft broke right below the splines nice and clean. Is there a chance of getting this welded?<br /><br />Thanks<br />Mike

Goodoleboy

Chief Petty Officer

Try twincitysoutboard.com They are a outboard junk yard.<br /><br />I would be tempted to weld it back myself. But the length is critical. Be careful, if its to long it can wipe out our power head.<br /><br />Good luck!